Thread: Lotus View Camera Experience?

Lotus View Camera Experience?

I'm considering buying a Lotus 5x7 View camera and would like to hear from peopl e who have used Lotus cameras (any size). Would you recommend them? What do you like / not like about them? etc. Anything that you feel I should know before mak ing the final decision would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Wilfried,

Sorry no answer, just another question:

From your name (and email OSSI) I assume you are German and from that I want to ask the following: have you ever seen a Lotus camera at a shop in Germany (NRW)?

I am also lurking at a Lotus camera, 4x5 though.

I did send an email to Lotus today with some questions, one of the questions was wether there is the possibility to see (and feel) the camera without traveling to Austria :-)

To answer partly your question: What me got drawn to the Lotus is the sleek/elegant design and the movements that seem to be more generous (shift & raise/fall) compared to other brands.

How well it can be un/folded is something I would love to test on a real camera.

Huib.

Huib,

good observation about the name and e-mail alias - I am indeed German. However, I have been living in California for 14+ years, so I can't answer your question about Lotus cameras in German stores. One observation I'd make is that the Lotus people seem to be extremely easy to work with and very responsive to special requests. I haven't asked them about a "loaner" or something like that, though.

Haven't seen or used a Lotus View Camera, but, as an American who lives most of the year in Austria, I have dealt with them often (mostly film and paper). They are reputable, prompt and eager to be of service. Maja Stoebele, who runs the office, speaks and writes excellent English, so don't hesitate to e-mail them. Maybe they can direct you to somewhere where you can get a "hands-on experience" with one of their cameras. Hope this helps ;^D)

Stupid of me: I just read the above post and see that you are German. Kannst schon a bissi Deutsch, oder? Maybe the Americans will find the info useful. ;^D)

Huib asked whether the lotus had been seen in a camera store in Germany. I did see one in the summer of 2000 in a store in Munich - I believe it was called Second Hand Cameras or some such. They advertise in Shutterbug.

Tony

Wilfried,

If you are going to Europe via London I would suggest that a visit to Linhof & Studio might prove beneficial. They are the UK agaents for Lotus and have the range available on view - even up to the 20x24 monster with its aircraft motors for rise/fall etc.

I looked at them a couple of years ago when I had intially been drawn to Gandolfi (L&S also agents for Gandolfi) - the finish and operating ease of the Lotus raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

Mrs. Paula Pell-Johnson Linhof & Studio

+ 44 207 7295 751 phone

+ 44 207 729 5787 fax

or paula@linhofstudio.co.uk

I am in no way affiliated with Linhof & Studio beyong being a customer of theirs from the other side of the planet - Sydney, Australia

Happy shopping,

Walter Glover

Be sure to price the Lotus before you go any farther. When I was shopping for a 5x7 about a year ago, I believe they were priced around $4400. Their website no longer lists directly the price of the cameras, not a good sign. For comparison, the Canham wood 5x7 is around $2400, and the Wisner Trad is $2300. Make sure you are getting $2000 more value in the Lotus.

CXC

Whilst I have no experience of the 5x7 camera, I have a 5x4 Lotus which I have used for the past 4 years, taking many British Landscape images. I do believe it is of the same generic form as the 5x7, this is based on observation of my colleagues 10x8 Lotus. The following notes apply to my 5x4 Lotus.

The camera is extremely well made and relatively robust in windy conditions. Focusing, and movement control is easy to use. I do find however the lens panel tilt arrangement needs considerable care in adjusting by the friction knob. Assembly and disassembly is quick if a systematic procedure is adopted. My camera works best with normal and short telephoto lens. Using a 90mm lens is possible but a fiddly recessed pannel is essential because the travel is restricted by the front supports. Construction does not permit the camera to be folded down with the lens in position. Major movements at the film plane with the exception of cross movement are smooth and easy to use. I use a home made focusing cloth formed into an tube and attached to the back of the camera for focussing.

The quality of workmanship is outstanding.

Dr Jim Lycett

Hello to everyone,
    if you are still interested in more and detailed information about the Lotus View cameras, maybe especially the 5x7inch version, so please email me. I got one of them as a demo model and I am planning to show it at the Imaging USA Show, January 2005 in New Orleans.
    Lotus View and I agreed on a representation type cooperation most recently. For those who are interested to know where I am based - its the outdoor photography State - Colorado.

Looking forward hearing from you - Regards George Nyman

(a website review will come soon at http://www.gnyman.com)