Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lost Art - Hand Held LF

Lost Art - Hand Held LF

Don't forget the Hobo camera marketed by Bostick & Sullivan. Comes in 8x10, 5x7, and 4x10. Made to hold one very wide angle lens, stopped down a bit, and you just point and shoot using the top viewfinder. No bellows -- it's an 8x10 point-and-shoot! Very VERY tough construction. Made to be chucked in the trunk w/ a couple film holders. Tripods allowed for but discouraged! I've seen fantastic work with it. The guy who invented the camera and builds them is said to prefer using an Angulon (not super) 90mm, which puts the entire image circle inside an 8x10 frame. I don't remember the specs exactly, but once you stop down to like F22 you have focus from like 6" to infinity .... -jeff buckels

Lost Art - Hand Held LF

Guys, guys, guys I have been using a cambo wide with 47xl and recently with 150 sironar-N. The beauty of this camera is that I can easily do with hand holding but for some reason I have never tried??? Now you guys have induced me to give it a go, well, I'll definetely give it a shot........

Lost Art - Hand Held LF

I still use my Super Technica V and Super Speed Graphic hand held from time to time. I wish I did a lot more than I do. I also have a 4 X 5 Super D Graphic which I finally used to take some shots in the neighborhood...that camera certainly got a reaction! Someone on the Graflex website is trying to arrange a gathering for Graflex users to go out and shoot (I think in the New Orleans area). This sounds like a great idea. Car clubs gather regularly with their classics and cruise. The idea of photo shoots with classic cameras and/or LF hand held cameras at various cities, national parks would be a lot of fun. Reading all of the responses makes me want to go out and shoot hand held too!

J. P. Mose

Lost Art - Hand Held LF

Over on the Streetphoto list there is a required dress for shooting any form of Graphic (or clone) handheld:

Black tapered pants with shiny, pointy toed black shoes, short sleeved shirt and thin black tie, along with a fedora. A sports coat optional for cooler weather. I suppose if you were shooting a Linhof, one of those little Tyrolean hats could be substituted, though the above look does seem mandated in my Linhof Handbook.

20 or 30 of us shooting like that in New orleans would look pretty cool I think

tim a
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Lost Art - Hand Held LF

Alright! That's it. I'm putting a handle on my Deardorff. Now, where's that duct tape?

Lost Art - Hand Held LF

With all due respect to Tim and Chad....in todays world (two days ago) it looks like this: Some clown with hip waders on, levis and a light parka, with his hard hat turned around backwards. The Technika V set on vertical, a small pack with film holders and grafmatics in it and a Spectra Combi-500 on his belt,...while wadeing out in a stream to get a shot of a ten ton shovel bucket picking up boulders. Oh, and Yes....I could use that Deardorff duct tape. My waders sprung a leak and I nearly froze my left leg. The Cat operator busted his butt to get the bucket positioned just where I wanted it. He is impressed with large 4X5 cameras, hand held, I think. Superb cooperation, frozen left leg, sitting in a hot tub with a cigar and a class of very cold Vouvray, looking at my contract and smiling. THANKS,..Linhof and Marflex....this clown is smiling and happy. Life is good. Screw New Orleans. Been there, done that. Nice place, but the $$$$ are in Colorado...I think. Be well. RB (:-)

Lost Art - Hand Held LF

I hope I didn't come off as a "naysayer" up there. I certainly like the idea.

I think before I look at a press camera though, I would probably make some sort of handheld bracket for my 8x10" Gowland PocketView (to see what this looks like, go to http://www.petergowland.com/camera/. Mine is older and somewhat lighter than the current version). The standards attach to the rail clamps with ordinary 1/4"-20 screws. I could replace the whole rail arrangement with a fixed focus flat bar and attach a bracket crosswise to that with two handles, arial camera style. I could even dispense with the standards or maybe just the rear standard, since the front and rear frames also attach to the standards with ordinary 1/4" screws. Add a door peephole finder, and I could probably keep it under 6 lbs (about the weight of my Canon F-1N with motor drive and a 300mm or 400mm lens) with film holder and 120mm lens that way. Hmmm.... maybe this isn't such an unreasonable proposition after all.

Lost Art - Hand Held LF

I've been doing this on and off with my Crown Graphic for the last couple years. Most interesting looks were from the tourists on the observation deck of the Empire State Bldg when I whipped it out of a bag and started snapping shots of the NY skyline . . .

I like the effect of handheld lf, but in terms of outright quality, I would think a well handled mf camera (handheld) would out-do the quality of the somewhat awkward Crown with the relatively soft 127mm Ektar.

As for film speed, outdoors in sunlight with T-Max 400 you can usually get a decent exposure. With slower film it was just too much trouble to get anything useful.

When I can afford it I'll probably look into a better rangefinder 4x5.

Lost Art - Hand Held LF

Richard,

Dare I say you may have started a new trend!

Lost Art - Hand Held LF

You're all mad!Hang on, I'll just strap a 20lb weight to my old yashicamat so's I can get the same feeling of doing something heroic to no real purpose.