Thread: Great news!

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Great news!

John, thanks for the update on this saga.

Perhaps, Michael and Jeanne will now consider gifting the prints to the Fresno Art Museum. This, I believe, would have pleased Ansel and reflect his desire to have work on view in Fresno.

You have seen the prints, what do you think?

Merg, they are beautiful! I've had the opportunity to see a few of Ansel's original prints at various venues s I woldn't hazard to guess on the merits of the MET's over other originals but I'd guess these are representative of his earlier prints. It's been a few years since I've seen the MET collection but I recollect the prints didn't exhibit the big dramatic skies attributed to his late work. The last time I veiwed the prnits at the MET I was rather amazed, the were more or less casually displayed in a glass case next to the staircase.
    But we do things like that in Fresno.
    I think there is a Rodin statue somewhere in on the mall---I wouldn't be surprised if that has been "tagged."
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I find this mildly confusing.

"In exchange, the family will give the museum other Ansel Adams prints of equal value for the October art auction."

Why would Adams demand these particular prints back if he'll happily give them others of equal value? I don't see the point of not allowing the museum to sell these prints, but give others for the same purpose.

Obviously, there is something I am not getting here...
    \donw

Quote Originally Posted by Don Wilkes View Post
    I find this mildly confusing.

"In exchange, the family will give the museum other Ansel Adams prints of equal value for the October art auction."

Why would Adams demand these particular prints back if he'll happily give them others of equal value? I don't see the point of not allowing the museum to sell these prints, but give others for the same purpose.

Obviously, there is something I am not getting here...
    \donw
    Hi Don, good to hear from you.

This is indeed a confusing situation. I believe that in the first case, it was a matter of principle; the original intent of the prints was that they remain in the Fresno Met Museum for the enjoyment of the public.

Adding to the confusion is that Fresno has another beautiful museum, which is alive and well. Perhaps Michael plans to gift the prints to that museum, with the same restrictions as the original gift. Just a guess.

Also, as we know, "equal value" is a somewhat dubious term when it comes to an AA photograph.

Hope all is well in one of my favorite places to visit and photograph.

Best,
    Merg

Hello, Merg!

It's pretty much photography prime-time here in Victoria, with all the blossoms and whatnot, but it's been more than a tad cool and wet for the past month. It was actually much nicer in March; spring came about a month early this year, but then really seemed to stall.

At any event, it's exceedingly annoying that I can't get out with the Toyo! Between household chores, errands, obligations, and the weather, I haven't shot a single sheet all this year. If the weather wasn't so unpredictable, I'd take a couple of days off, just to get it out of my system. I do have a plan for a forest triptych, and I'm dying to get at it.

All the best,
    \donw