Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 New Pages for the Soft Focus Crowd

3 New Pages for the Soft Focus Crowd

It's been a while since I've added new pages at my little web site.

Easter weekend did the trick. Here are 3 new pages with photos made with some very ecclectic soft foci types.

I used the Pinkham Bi-Quality (Series IV Visual Quality) 14", a 15" no name achromatic meniscus, Voigtlander Euryscop, Voigtlander Petzval, Wolly Velostigmat with Fuzz-U-Lator modification, Wollensak Beach Series B, and finally, the Cooke Aviar.

Hope you have some fun wading through the stuff.

Dis-Claimer; I didn't say any of it was any good. Just that you can get an idea what the different soft focus lenses can do for you.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Po...rtraits_I.html

funkadelic

Re: 3 New Pages for the Soft Focus Crowd

Jim,
    I always enjoy seeing the photos you made with lenses I have never been able to work with. Many of these I will never get to work with...
    Which of the shots did Gary choose as the gift to the Mrs?
    Chris

There's ome nice shots in there that I really like. Ya done good, methinks.

Thanks Chris and Glenn. Gary is home visiting family over Easter break and hasn't seen the pics yet. Don't know which he'll like.

Another little note. On page 3 the distortion on the end of the tool chest is because of film curl in the scanner. These were just quick and dirty on the Epson V700. The Aerial Recon film has some annoying curl into the emulsion.

Jim, thanks for the hard work. I really enjoy the pictures made by Pinkham Bi-Quality and
    Euryscop. Which one is cheaper to get?

Fuzz-u-lator! I love that term. Is it a separate wheel on the lens? Inquiring minds want to know!

I can't describe my Cooke PS 945 like that.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Beautiful stuff, Jim! That last shot with the Velostigmat of the cke bottle & glass really shines. And though both are lovely, I think I might actually prefer that no-name meniscus to the mighty Pinkham & Smith! But such things change from photo to photo, which is just how it should be...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

The Beach is a very interesting lens, though I suspect that the extreme softness you see wide open is atypical. Since they were hand-polished to be aspherical, they probably vary quite a bit. Beautiful either way though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Wei View Post
    Jim, thanks for the hard work. I really enjoy the pictures made by Pinkham Bi-Quality and
    Euryscop. Which one is cheaper to get?
    The Euryscop is in a whole different price field from the Pinkhams. Anything that says Pinkham on it seems to have blasted into the stratosphere, while the Voigtlander Euryscop, while spiraling upward a bit in the last few years remains affordable. The bigger ones particularly are a bit spendier which is consistent with their general rarity. True also with most lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Maher View Post
    Fuzz-u-lator! I love that term. Is it a separate wheel on the lens? Inquiring minds want to know!

I can't describe my Cooke PS 945 like that.
    I credit our own Mark Sawyer with the brilliant term; fuzz-u-lator. There have been a couple of threads about modifying the ordinary Velostigmat that had the factory 1-5 softness control to let it keep on going and going far beyond the original factory intent. The original 1-5 didn't really do much. But when you get to 45 or 65, they really are spectacularly soft It amounts to a thread at the front of the lens that seperates element No. 1 and no. 2. Factory it would only let you unthread the thing the space of 1 thread width. By removing the factory 'stop', certain deviants around here are increasing that space to about 5+ times what the factory setting was, which greatly increases the softness. Fun to do and the pictures are really interesting.

Jim,

These are great pictures and that Beach lens has something, doesn't it?

Thanks for sharing!
    Hugo