Thread: Moving from 4x5 to 8x10 Shen Hao vs. Chamonix

Moving from 4x5 to 8x10 Shen Hao vs. Chamonix

I've been using 4x5 for about 8 years and recently have been making prints which require more detail than I've needed previously. Some of my 4x5's just haven't held up to large prints(30x40) even with Imacon and fluid scans(I've done lots and lots of comparisons with all kinds of techniques both in camera and out. Granted, a lot of this lost detail has to do with the things I'm photographing (smoke, fog, etc) , but nonetheless its an issue. I've borrowed a Tachihara 8x10 from my school this past week and was surprised with the results- the sharpness was more than satisfactory and the larger film size made a much more vivid image. The problem is, I'm slowly realizing that an 8x10 field camera, although pricey, may be in my future.
    I'm interested in the Shen Hao and Chamonix 8 x 10s but I'm wondering if the Shen Hao is just a "cheaper version'" of the same machine. Also, I'm wondering of there are any other field cameras with a large range of movements that is still portable, affordable and reliable. In short, I'm looking for an 8x10 that won't break the bank or my back, and will last for the long haul.

Al Harding
    www.alexanderhardingart.com

Re: Moving from 4x5 to 8x10 Shen Hao vs. Chamonix

I got the Shen Hao 8x10 and I'm happy. It is an excellent camera that just happens to come at a reasonable price.

Ten pages of comments on the Shen Hao 8x10, if you are interested: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=25073