Thread: Recessed Lensboard

Recessed Lensboard

hi, as far as i know , the recessed lensboard helps to buy extra bellow length f or movementsesp. in wideangles. But besides the higher cost, will it cause any harm if i used it instead of nor mal lensboard ,says in "normal lens--90-120mm" in a rail view camera , e.g. jeop ardise the front standard movement ? thanks

Recessed Lensboard

Your right, about the lens board with a wide angle... it won't do any "damage" and your 90mm-120mm is still a wide angle area... If you were to say use it with a 210, you would be using more bellows draw than you need and giving yourself more headaches if you don't factor bellows factor. Cheers

Recessed Lensboard

Don't forget that it does move the axis point of the lens to a point behind the axis point of the front standard, meaning any on-axis titls will not be on-axis. The difference should be pretty negligible, though.

Recessed Lensboard

Actually, the fact that a lens is on a recessed board does not change the bellows extension since the extension is related to the lenses focal legnth and not bellows draw. If I have a 210mm lens on a 1" recessed board the bellows draw ( that is lens to film distance ) is stil nominally 210mm, not 210mm + 1". So no bellows extension factor need be applied. I have also noted that most front axis tilt points on cameras are actually behind the center of the lens so using a recessed board may actually improve the tilt action.