Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnass Gear (no longer in business???)

Gnass Gear (no longer in business???)

Well, for the past few years, I've noticed that Gnass Gear seems to have shut down their business. Not exactly a news flash to many of you. I was lucky enough to have purchased (2) very nicely designed zippered lens pouches for my large format lenses. I wish i could have bought more.

Does anyone out there know what happened to the company? Also, (and more important) does anyone know of comparable gear? I am told that there may be companies that sell gear that fishermen may use that would be similar. Any ideas? Many years ago, I met a gentleman named Sam Garrison (Gara Gear) from the Portland area that made high quality photo products (which I still use), but I would suspect that he has gone on to other business ventures.

Thanks!
    John G.

Eric Biggerstaff

Re: Gnass Gear (no longer in business???)

For lenses I use reel cases that I found at Bass Pro Shops. Mine holds 8 lenses on 4" boards and cost $20. Made very well, padded inside and out, dividers can be moved and it is very tough. I have a few Gnass products and they are great but ......
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

There was some speculation that the proprietor was injured in one of the major forest fires that plagued much of this state a few years ago. I must emphasise that it is just speculation though. The business did seem to shut down at almost the exact same time as the fires were raging all across the state however...so, it is plausible.

A fellow named Bruce operates an outfit named Photobackpacker. He makes a fantastic line of products, gives great service and is a very highly valued supplier in the LF community. Check him out on line.

EDIT.... Here's the photobackpacker web site...http://www.photobackpacker.com
    Last edited by BradS; 2-Apr-2010 at 13:17. Reason: add link.

John,

Photobackpacker is an excellent source of photo gear. I also like this company for their nifty little padded lens cases/pouches. http://www.cartom.virtualspace.com/photop.html I have been using these for my LF lenses for years and really like them. I can store them loose or, in my case, I then put 4 of them in another case. Don't know if this will help you. Jim

I recently purchased several photobackpacker cases and they're excellent. I also bought four cases of various size from pro bass shop and think they're equally as nice an much cheaper. One case is the Bass Pro Shop 10 reel case with movable dividers. The price is $21 and also sold by Orvis for almost $60. I also purchased a couple of others, I think they are White River, and are very nicely made for under $20.

The reel case is almost as good as Gnass case, if its side is as strong as the Gnass cases.

The Photobackpacker lens cases are very light as you can see in the specs on the website. As I do very long hikes avoiding carrying any extra weight at all was the main reason I bought those cases. What a great product they turned out to be! They are strong and light with very good zippers and they have Velcro sewn onto the outside of them if you want to Velcro them together into a set or attach them to a backerboard that fits in a Kelty backpack.

They are not padded which is great because they are well protected in my pack and I don't need to carry needless padding. I put a folded layer of small bubble wrap in the bottom of one the cases for a little protection when I set the cases on hard surfaces.

A very well made, light and strong product if keeping weight down is important.

I've been using the photobackpacker lens cases too! They're really good designs. As you can see from my bag (below), I can fit two lenses (and a 135mm on the camera) really snugly - even the lightmeter case seems perfectly tailored for the backpack. Nothing shakes about and it all feels quite secure! And, they are so light.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    John,

Photobackpacker is an excellent source of photo gear. I also like this company for their nifty little padded lens cases/pouches. http://www.cartom.virtualspace.com/photop.html I have been using these for my LF lenses for years and really like them. I can store them loose or, in my case, I then put 4 of them in another case. Don't know if this will help you. Jim
    Seems to be a dead link to cartom.virtualspace.com - is there another link?

Quote Originally Posted by R Mann View Post
    Seems to be a dead link to cartom.virtualspace.com - is there another link?
    Here is the correct link (I hope) I thought I had copied and pasted, but obviously not. http://www.cartom.virtual-space.com/photop.htm