Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feedback wanted on these images

Feedback wanted on these images

I posted these in other threads, but did not get any feedback (which I guess is part of the rules if not requested). Anyway these are the first LF images I have made for about 35 years. I am just getting things in place so that I can process the film, etc. I bought a Shen-Hao HZX 4x5-IIA about 18 months ago, and a 135mm F5.6 Nikkor about 8 months ago, but I have only been able to make use of them in the last few days.

The first comment I have to make about the images, is that in my rush to get out into the field, I forgot my dark cloth! So, ignore the poor framing. What I really would like to know is if these images have good tone, contrast, sharpness, etc. I know a lot of this is subjective, but I don't even know if these are too dark or too light. I am working on a computer that has had the screen calibrated, and I used an Epson V750 to make the scans. For the scanning software, I just used Epson Scan. Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.

Shen-Hao HZX 4x5-IIA
    Tri-X 320 (rated at 200)
    f22, between 1/8th to 1/4 seconds

D-76 1:1, 7-1/4 minutes at 70 degrees F.

I'm not set up for printing yet, so I plan on using a service to print #3 at least, to check things out in that regard.

Thanks,

Jon

Peter

Re: Feedback wanted on these images

Jon
    From my calibrated monitor the tonality is wonderful. Very subtle detail in the darkest tone this side of black. Same with the highlights, very good retention of highlight details. My sensibilities like the gamma or midtones as well. Also, they seem to be sharp as tacks. Only problem is the framing, which you are aware of. Very nice!

Peter

Smile Re: Feedback wanted on these images

Make sure to keep your camera straight and level-side-side and front to back

Jon,
    For me, great tonality, contrast and detail. Welcome back to LF.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

You're not Ansel Adams so what do you care what other people think, so long as you like the work yourself?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Here's a nice image to see how well your monitor does.

In the last photo, the high values on the left-most sign, and the roof, reach pure white. Some might feel that those values have been clipped, and should retain some texture.

If you feel the same way, then you can adjust the overall contrast to include that level - which may make the rest of the image too dull - but you can always dodge the areas you want to pop a bit. (If you would like to see an example, just say so: Youv'e already had the courage to ask for feedback )

Another approach is to burn those areas down (presuming there is texture there to be revealed).

It's all a matter of taste.

Jon
    They look good to me, I dont know what a calibrated moniter is but on my Acer 24 the immages look great, detail in both the highlites and shadows. The window has good detail in the reflection, interior of the building, and even a bit in the window inside the building.....what more could you ask for? The tonal range is superb and I see nothing wrong with the composition, every one of us has a different way of seeing things. I guess if you are not real happy with the framing you can always crop it a bit here and there.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on these images. I wanted to make sure that what I saw, others could see as well. That tells me that I'm in the ballpark, and I don't have to do any drastic adjustments to my processing and monitor.

Thanks!

Jon

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Jon,

As a contrast/detail junkie I think you've caught both ends of that spectrum beautifully. The dark cloth issue could have been rectified with your shirt or coat (or pants, depending on how cavalier you are ).

As Ken mentioned about the highs on the last image - they are certainly a bit distracting. If you're doing the developing yourself you might want to invite your attention to those areas.

I would say I find nothing wrong with these pics but that would be dragging my feet. I think they're great!

Johnny

P.S. I just received my HZX 4x5-IIA about two weeks ago and still haven't had a chance to use it!
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

Quote Originally Posted by sultanofcognac View Post
    Jon,

As a contrast/detail junkie I think you've caught both ends of that spectrum beautifully. The dark cloth issue could have been rectified with your shirt or coat (or pants, depending on how cavalier you are ).

As Ken mentioned about the highs on the last image - they are certainly a bit distracting. If you're doing the developing yourself you might want to invite your attention to those areas.

I would say I find nothing wrong with these pics but that would be dragging my feet. I think they're great!

Johnny

P.S. I just received my HZX 4x5-IIA about two weeks ago and still haven't had a chance to use it!
    Thanks Johnny!

I had to wait 18 months to use mine!

Jon