Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a digital slr as a light meter????

Using a digital slr as a light meter????

I always carry my Nikon F100 with my view camera to use for choosing a composition and to use as a light meter. Yes I know I am supposed to use a hand held spot meter but this works for me. Now I"m thinking of the possibility of a DSLR to replace my 35mm. My one concern is whether I can use it as a light meter. Does ISO 100 on a nikon digital match with ISO on film? What I definately want to avoid is making my workflow more complicated.

You will have to calibrate it as you would any light meter.

steve simmons

Scott Davis

When I shot product shots with my digital SLR in the studio, I found that the meter readings I got from my Sekonic 408 did not jibe with the camera's sensor. The handheld spot meter has been dead on before, and after, that shoot (I've got some perfectly exposed 4x5 transparencies to prove it). I don't know if this variation I experienced was due to the light source (studio strobe monolights), the camera (shutter timing being different somehow, or the triggering sync being slightly off), or the image chip (sensitivity to strobe light different from daylight?). I did try the meter in the camera against the handheld meter in daylight and got virtually identical results (within 1/10th stop), so I don't think it is the meter being off. You will need to do some significant testing to validate your DSLR's metering vs. film - ideally chart the difference between the DSLR's reading and a handheld meter's reading of the same scene at each ISO you think you would use, and repeat for multiple lighting conditions (low contrast, high contrast, bright light, low light, etc) to eliminate variables.

Personally, I'd rather just get the handheld spotmeter to take with when I'm photographing with some kind of large format - it's a lot smaller and lighter than a DSLR (and probably cheaper too!). I don't need the distractions of having to translate between formats and shooting styles when I'm working with a particular camera.

Well as Steve says you can but......... If you are going to use any form of the zone system I would question the ability to accurately aim the cameras spot meter if it truly is a 1 degree spot. Secondly from personal experience I was using my N90 in this manner and dropped the camera while adjust the view camera to the tune of $300 of damage, the cost of a good meter! Finally why pack more weight?

I use a DSLR for metering my LF camera and it works just fine. Also, I can easily preview the effect of ND grads and simply transfer the Lee filter holder to the LF camera. Also, I have the additional sophistication of the histogram and if using a zoom on the DSLR (e.g. 24-105), I also find it makes a great multi-focus finder as a compositional aid and in selecting the right focal length of lens on the LF. Oh and I can also back up shots on the digi and sometimes take shots for which LF is not ideal. I think that is plenty of very good reasons for carrying it in addition.

I use my Nikon D70 as my exposure meter. I always shoot Hp5+ at ISO200, which works for me because the lowest ISO setting on my D70 is 200. If I ever switch to a slower film, I'll have to make the necessary corrections when transferring the settings to the 4x5. I have found that by setting the digital camera to evaluative metering, and transferring those settings to the view camera, I can usually get the correct exposure, better than I ever could with a spotmeter.

Why can't sombody make a light meter that does evaluative metering exactly like a modern 35mm camera AND gives one a histogram display?

I've used an EOS 3 for that purpose for many years, and for a year I switched to an EOS 1Ds2 (digital). Without particular calibration, my exposures on LF transparency film do not seem any different than before. I don't know about much Nikon DSLRs, but some people claim that 100 ASA Canon = 160 ASA Nikon (presumably to help cope with noise).

I always thought a digicam would be a neat tool to help you document your negatives. You could do some analysis on the digital image to figure out what kind of n-+ development you want to do, and will give you feedback on how your filters are working.