Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using a 47mm XL

Using a 47mm XL

Just got a somewhat beat up 47mm XL today which I need to test to see if it is optically OK. Am I correct that I have to stop to f22 to get it to cover 4x5? At less than that do get vignetting, or just loss of image definition - I am thinking a sharp center and soft edges might be interesting on an ultra wide.

Any other tips? I have an Ebony 45SU and a bag bellows, so in theory I should be good on a flat board.

Re: Using a 47mm XL

Ed, I primarily used mine as a 6x9 lens for which it is superb-with tons of movement.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

On 4x5 I am assuming it is the ultimate box camera - but I am hoping it will be the perfect lens for cathedral ceilings.

A few times, backed into a corner, I just stopped it down, used it on 4x5 on axis and just cropped it to whatever was usable. It saved my butt a few times.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Just got a somewhat beat up 47mm XL today which I need to test to see if it is optically OK. Am I correct that I have to stop to f22 to get it to cover 4x5? At less than that do get vignetting, or just loss of image definition - I am thinking a sharp center and soft edges might be interesting on an ultra wide.

Any other tips? I have an Ebony 45SU and a bag bellows, so in theory I should be good on a flat board.
    You don't have to use f22 - I used to shoot mine at f16 regularly. Try a test at f11 to see what you get (fine I think).

Your camera will work better with a recessed board. The bellows will tie you up with a flat board, not that you'll be able to use much movement, but you will want what you can get.

Its an excellent lens.

> Your camera will work better with a recessed board

true, but my fat fingers do not.:-) i will report back on how the flat board works.

I found that a recessed panel was more useful with the 47XL on my Ebony 45SU - a flat panel does restrict the movement available; although you won't get much opportunity to employ movements on a sheet of 5x4 due to the coverage of this lens.

Paul and Henry,

Ebony does show a sense of humor in saying that this lens can be used with the 45Su with a flat panel. Just tried it this morning - I can just get it focused at infinity before the standards collide.:-)

Paul - were you using the bag bellows? Given the tiny amount of movement this lens will give, I am not sure the bag bellows will be a problem.

Henry - good tip. I just shot a series 8, 11, 16, and 22. That will give a good lens test as well as let me figure out what happens to the image circle.

Don't forget a center filter!

Fall off is not as bad as I expected, and I can see little difference between F8 and F22 - clearly the lens maker was being very conservative in rating the image circle. I did not shoot a blank wall, so the fall off just pushes the shadows to black, which confused me for a minute because it makes edges look less sharp.

If I shot color, the center filter would be a necessity. For black and white, I sort of like the look - saves edge burning.