Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Velvia for forest scenes

Which Velvia for forest scenes

I am planning to go backpacking with my Dad in Mid April, and I think we will be headed along the Finger Lakes trail in central NY, which will be mostly wooded and have some nice vibrant greens, ferns, moss covered trees, and waterfalls.

I plan to take my 4x5 and I would like to shoot color slide film. I have recently shot some E100VS, but still have yet to get in processed.

I was going to buy some 10 sheet packs of Velvia, and was wondering which of the varieties with give me the best results in forest conditions. I'm sure we will see some open landscapes as well, maybe sunsets etc.

But I'm trying to learn about the different qualities of Velvia 50, 100, 100F etc.

Also, since I have not processed the E100VS, I was wondering how you go about it. Do you just send the film in the box it came in? And what do you do if you haven't finished the box. I have always wondered this and have never found the answers to this info in several books I have read on LF photography.

Re: Which Velvia for forest scenes

All the velvias are pretty outstanding for greens. I'd stick with 50 unless you recon you'll be doing enough long exposures for reciprocity failure to get annoying, in which case go with 100/100F (100F is a bit less saturated but better with skintones).

When I use Velvia, I usually use the new Velvia 100 (not the 100F). I like Astia 100 also for scenes with more contrast, although being slide film its contrast range is still pretty limited. You'll probably be quite happy with either Velvia 50 or 100 though. They both have the same superfine grain and beautiful color.

yeah, I am wondering if I should try some Astia as well. Can be pretty contrasty in the forest.

Drew Wiley

Velvia can be nice in mist or rain but is problematic in direct sunlight. The woods can
    have a lot of contrast. I'd carry an alternate film along also, like E100G or Provia 100F.
    Astia is a little more forgiving yet, but some people find it a little undersaturated.
    Worth a try, however. I shoot them all.

Preston Birdwell

"Also, since I have not processed the E100VS, I was wondering how you go about it. Do you just send the film in the box it came in? And what do you do if you haven't finished the box."

I unload holders and put the film sheets inside its foil puch inside the the three-part box and ship it off, carefully packed. I also put a tag on the film box: "Exposed Film".

If you don't have a spare box, load the remaining sheets into holders and then put your exposed sheets into it, as above.

Place a note with the films to be processed that kindly asks the lab to return the empty box.

With regard to films for your trip...

I've had nice results with Astia 100F and Velvia 100 (non-F). As has been mentioned, Velveeta 50 may be problematic in deep shade due to its reciprocity characteristics. Provialone may get a bit blue in the shadows lit by a blue sky. I've found that an 81A or B will help tame this behavior a bit.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Why not try Portra 160NC? I really like having the latitude of neg film and the portra properly scanned is breathtakingly high quality... If you need more contrast, then its very easy to add in later on?

I also will make a case for E100VS and EPP. both are easier to work with than velvia.
    Ektachrome 64 x wishes and Tech Pan Dreams

Lachlan 717

I don't like the 100F. Bland for landscapes. It's much easier to tone down vibrancy than it is to add it after the fact.

And I don't really get why you'd use the 50 ASA. The 100 (non-F) has equal, if not better, grain/sharpness and you get the extra stop. When you consider the usual long exposures that come with forests and small apertures, this stop can be an 8, 15, 30 or 60 second difference. This can mean a sharper shot if there is any wind... Why chance it?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Sorry, but I gave up on velvia a while back. Too contrasty and a short scale. I find Astia a bit more forgiving and it scans well, too.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Sipress View Post
    Sorry, but I gave up on velvia a while back. Too contrasty and a short scale. I find Astia a bit more forgiving and it scans well, too.
    Jeffrey,

Do you have any comparison shots (i.e. Same location/set-up) with both films?

I'd really like to see the differences in results.

Thanks in advance.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky