Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tominon and Polaroid Copal Shutter

Re: Tominon and Polaroid Copal Shutter

Thanks Dan, that was the confirmation I needed. I will contact Grimms.

Meanwhile I am learning how to operate the Packard!

/gth

I usually do landscapes and portraits. 105/4.5 Tominon landscapes are no good in 4x5 causing soft corners almost to the extent of vignetting. But portraits are decent. Closeups, on the other hand, are keepers. The lens is pretty bright. So depending on your requisite use the lens. YOu can fit it on any copal #0 shutter (may require resetting f values though. Think somewhere around f11 is its sweet spot.

Arun

I have a Polaroid Copal 127/4.5 ... I was planning on playing with it on my View camera ... I got a copal 1 board and then discovered that on the back of the shutter is a small screw the looks like a post protuding and prevents the shutter from setting flush to the lens board --- I contemplated removing the screw :/

Any thoughts on (1) remove the screw? or (2) ways to mount: maybe placing a spacing material, like foam core?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJSherman View Post
    I have a Polaroid Copal 127/4.5 ... I was planning on playing with it on my View camera ... I got a copal 1 board and then discovered that on the back of the shutter is a small screw the looks like a post protuding and prevents the shutter from setting flush to the lens board --- I contemplated removing the screw :/
    Hi Robert,

That's an anti-rotation screw.
    It's designed to fit into a hole drilled through the lensboard (it won't leak light).

I always use those screws when I mount a shutter since I like to know that the shutter will not rotate when I cock or adjust it. Some folks never use them. It's very much a personal choice.

You can remove it if you want, and the shutter will mount flush.
    Or you can drill a hole of the proper size at the proper location and use it as intended.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Excellent, thanks I appreciate the info.

I use a Polaroid Copal shutter when I'm using a pinhole. With the iris partially closed, I had thought that it would provide me with a viable image on the GG, very unsharp but workable to compose the image, but in practice out in the field didn't really work. Really like ultra WA pinhole images, so now compose with my 120mm Nikkor on my 8x10, then replace it with the Polaroid Copal shutter that has the appropriate pinhole for a focal length of 120mm. First time that I have been quite accurately been able to compose ultra WA pinhole images. Have heard of people adapting WA Protars 140mm and under to the shutters with success, all for little money.