Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US carry-on luggage regulation before congress

US carry-on luggage regulation before congress

HR-2870 is a bill drafted to set a standard for carry-on baggage in the US. It is currently in committee. Here's a link to the legislation: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2870

The bill calls for a 22" limit in length which will be enforced by the TSA using size checking templates. The problem is the accepted standard for rolling carry-on bags is longer than 22 inches. These bags are usually 24.5+ inches. This legislation will outlaw the standard that has existed for years. When I designed the Kelty P1/P2 it was with this 24.5" unofficial standard.

I believe there is a need to standardize the size limits but I also believe there is no need to decrease the limit from the standard that has evolved over the past 25+ years. Obviously, I would like to keep the P1 & P2 in the Legal category as well.

I have attached zipped file which contains a letter I have sent as well as an word file with the names, mailing addresses and phone numbers of the bill sponsors and the committee members who are considering it. Please write or call and encourage them to keep the limit where it has been.

We all gripe about this - now is the chance to do something. Please take a few moments and contact these representatives.
    Bruce

Re: US carry-on luggage regulation before congress

All carry on except medicines and a coat should be banned. All check in should be looked at in front of the passenger and then locked by the passenger. The checked in baggage should be handled by robots which are programmed to handle the bags with extreme care. At the other end the bags should be opened by the passenger and inspected. Any problems should be corrected and resolved right there on the spot. The overhead business obstructs the flow of seating and the cramming of luggage that is too large breaks other items by dumb bells to stupid to check in their bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    All carry on except medicines and a coat should be banned. All check in should be looked at in front of the passenger and then locked by the passenger. The checked in baggage should be handled by robots which are programmed to handle the bags with extreme care. At the other end the bags should be opened by the passenger and inspected. Any problems should be corrected and resolved right there on the spot. The overhead business obstructs the flow of seating and the cramming of luggage that is too large breaks other items by dumb bells to stupid to check in their bags.
    I'm not sure I would agree with this extreme an approach completely, but the carry-on situation has definitely gotten out of control. I think many passengers are attempting to avoid checked luggage fees by bringing the contents of their house on board in bloated rolling bags that are bursting at the seams. These bags are not really being scrutinized by the gate crews and I seriously doubt if most of them would fit in the check box. I've been struggling to figure a way to take my 4x5 and essentials on board an up-coming flight and have had to resort to a padded canvas bag that I can cram under the seat in front of me because that is the only available space I can count on with certainty. I keep dreaming of a day when high speed rail travel will be commonplace in the US. I don't think I'll live that long. Until then, If I have the time to drive, I'll opt for that over flying, but there are just too many places I want to go to that can require air travel. It's just such a PITA.

It's another thing being pushed by the airline industry.
    Smaller carry-on bags equals more $25 bags in the cargo hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert A. Zeichner View Post
    I'm not sure I would agree with this extreme an approach completely, but the carry-on situation has definitely gotten out of control. I think many passengers are attempting to avoid checked luggage fees by bringing the contents of their house on board in bloated rolling bags that are bursting at the seams. These bags are not really being scrutinized by the gate crews and I seriously doubt if most of them would fit in the check box. I've been struggling to figure a way to take my 4x5 and essentials on board an up-coming flight and have had to resort to a padded canvas bag that I can cram under the seat in front of me because that is the only available space I can count on with certainty. I keep dreaming of a day when high speed rail travel will be commonplace in the US. I don't think I'll live that long. Until then, If I have the time to drive, I'll opt for that over flying, but there are just too many places I want to go to that can require air travel. It's just such a PITA.
    Yes, it's an extreme approach that will never happen and I agree that a major solution to the problem would be a networked high speed rail system in the US and Canada. I am equally divided by the fly drive. There are so many places that I must drive to and through to enjoy them and there are places that require a long flight. In some respects the lack of transportation is the reason the wild places have stayed somewhat wild. Imagine a high speed rail to the center of Yosemite valley? It would look like Disneyland in no time at all. When I have to fly and rent a car it's the flight part that's a major drag. It controls what and how much I take on the entire trip. Time and money is another thing to consider. Flying gets you there quicker than driving. I think it's clear that the luggage issue is a major issue with the airlines. Airlines would like to haul nothing but the people, the people would like to take unlimited bags for free and put them where ever they want, the TSA would like no luggage and naked people. It's about money in the end. The airlines would like every penny out of the passenger to cover the cost and make as large a profit as possible. Were now at the point where the seats are getting smaller, the luggage is getting more expensive and the meals are gone except for some snack cart that charges large fees for crappy snacks. With Congress at a high time Low it's going to be interesting to see what the special interests come up with.

I've been using the smallest Think Tank backpack, the one designed for tiny commuter planes, and it will carry a field camera and dslr plus a laptop. It's tight but I can manage. And it is consistently one of the smallest carry-ons on the entire flight. One of the problems is that the a-holes with their giant carry-ons will shove and crush my modest sized gear.

Last year some dummy dropped her 40-50lb carry-on on my head in the aisle seat.

So I rather have some consistent enforced limits than the way it currently is.

But the 24.5-inch rule - 44-inch all dimensions - is fine. They don't need to be any smaller, just enforce the current rules.

What makes any of you think that a new "standard" for carry-on luggage will be enforced any better than the current one? The size regulations are routinely ignored except by a few airlines on extremely full flights. I imagine that this situation will continue regardless of whether congress shaves a few inches off the maximum length of a carry-on bag...

As for the TSA, I have to chime in here and state that since the TSA was implemented, my experience with airline security people has improved tremendously. I have been flying internationally several times a year for the last 22 years, and previous to TSA commonly encountered impolite, badly-trained security personnel who often could only speak rudimentary English (if any at all!). My bags got lost en route 50% or more of the time.

Now, I am treated professionally, politely and often in a friendly manner by clean, uniformed, well-trained and generally competent TSA employees who speak English and usually a few other languages as well among the team. My luggage has been opened occasionally, and sometimes my meticulous packing messed up, but never have I had anything stolen. My luggage arriving with me rate has increased to well over 80%. I'm much happier with the situation as it now stands.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Accidental double posting...

Just make sure you arrive at the airport 24+ hours in advance instead of the now usual 2 hours.

Just make sure you arrive at the airport 24+ hours in advance instead of the now usual 2 hours.
    Pray that whatever you checked in (those pricey XL lenses with the spanking new Linhof Technika) makes it to the luggage pick-up area at your destination.