Thread: Another DSLR adapter plate - any good?

Another DSLR adapter plate - any good?

I know this topic has been covered with cheap adapters, but does anyone know of a company called “Just Together”.

They make adapters to mount a DSLR to a View Camera. They are not sliding, just one hole in the centre. The hole widens immediately (unlike cheaper versions) allowing the use of wider lenses. Does anyone have experience with these adaptors, and do they live up to their claims? They are fairly expensive @ 490Euros.

http://www.just-together.net/index_en.htm

I am not entirely sure how they work. I wish to mount my 5D MkII to my Sinar P2 to do ‘art’ copy work, ie, digitazing photos and/or art work that is larger than my scanner can take, A4.

I will be using a 180mm Macro lens. I presume I would compose my art work on the ground glass as normal, then attach my 5D, re focus, and then shoot in a 3x3 (or even a 4x4) pattern, of the entire image by moving the back vertically and horizontally. In Photoshop I would stitch the images together.

Is this correct, or have I got it wrong? If this works then it means I would end up with quite a large file size instead of resorting to a scanning back.
    Be a slave to technology, or shoot film.
    www.abriefvisionoftime.com
    www.photorepair.com.au

Re: Another DSLR adapter plate - any good?

Hi Anthony, I really don't think this does what you think. As far as I can see it is basically a lensboard with an adapter mounted in the centre. That gives you access to all sorts of movements but I don't see how it will help you with copying artwork. If your 5D hasn't got enough resolution to shoot the picture in one go and you need to shoot multiple photos and then stitch it would make more sense to use a regular Canon macro lens. Rather than moving the camera around to multiple view points it would be much easier to move the artwork (unless it is wall size) as this would make it easier to keep everything lined up and would also keep the lighting exactly the same.

Sorry, Paul, but I am not talking about physically moving the camera, but moving the rear standard vertically and horizontally, in a 3X3 grid pattern, so the 24mmX36mm sensor covers most of the 4x5 frame. I would end up with nine shots to be stitched together. Isn't that what you are meant to do with these adapters? Or am I misunderstanding something here?
    www.photorepair.com.au

Japan Exposures

Interesting - are there cheaper alternatives to this? Seems all you need is a connection from a DSLR mount to a lens board, perhaps could be done with some combo of adapters and a board with a large hole.

Yes, I've thought of making my own. Looking at there's, they expand to a larger diameter right at the lens mount (instead of a short tube - if you know what I mean). Allows the use of wider lenses.
    www.photorepair.com.au

My Cambo has enough rise to do that, but only 50mm of shift. I guess that would work in portrait mode. To answer your question though, I don't think that is what they were intended for. I'm sure that if it were intended for stitching then the shift functions would be built into the back itself. These simple adapters are more suited to playing with tilt and swing or macro use.

Japan Exposures

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ewins View Post
    I'm sure that if it were intended for stitching then the shift functions would be built into the back itself. These simple adapters are more suited to playing with tilt and swing or macro use.
    I guess that's why they are showing then with a Sinar P. Should be easy enough to take 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 pics that have enough overlap to combine later.