Thread: Viable Portrait Lens on a Toyo 45A

Viable Portrait Lens on a Toyo 45A

Well, when I got my Toyo 45A, I tried to marry it to this Commercial Caltar 305 mounted in an Ilex Synchro #4.
    From the looks of it, I don't think this combo is going to fit on the end of the Toyo (I still haven't gotten my copal 3 lensboard in the mail).

Consequently, I'm going to start looking for a new portrait lens or smaller shutter, preferably something less than or equal to 12" because I don't have enough bellows.

I figured this is the best place to find out where to look.

Thank you so much,
    JJ

Re: Viable Portrait Lens on a Toyo 45A

I have the same camera. So far I've aquired a Heliar 210mm f4,5 whith which I need to pull out the rear rail out in order to focus for portraits.
    I also got a 7 1/2 Velostigmat which I think also calls for a little rear extension.
    My favorite so far is the 150mm Petzval, perfect for the Toyo 45A.

The largest lens I have is a no name Pentac 7'' that takes up the whole lensboard which is pretty bad anyway.

The Xenar 150mm works fine for portraits although I need to get to close to the subject while she slowly moves away thinking I can't tell.

I was recommended the Heliar for portraits from a member of this forum and he was dead right, amazing lens.

Octogenarian

For a 300mm (12") lens mounted in smaller a Copal 1 shutter, look for a Nikon/Nikkor 300M, a Fujinon 300C, or a Schneider 305 G-Claron.

Click on LF Home Page on the blue bar near the top of this page. Scroll down to Comparison charts, click on 4x5, and you will be able to see which "modern" lenses are available.

300mm is the maximum bellows extension on a Toyo A, without the need to add a top hat lens board.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    For a 300mm (12") lens mounted in smaller a Copal 1 shutter, look for a Nikon/Nikkor 300M, a Fujinon 300C, or a Schneider 305 G-Claron.

Click on LF Home Page on the blue bar near the top of this page. Scroll down to Comparison charts, click on 4x5, and you will be able to see which "modern" lenses are available.

300mm is the maximum bellows extension on a Toyo A, without the need to add a top hat lens board.
    Toyo makes and sells a 4" extension that slips onto the rear of the camera. I have one, it is very well made. However, I generally use portrait lenses in the 10-11 inch range with no problem.

Octogenarian

When I owned both a Toyo AII and AX, I had two Toyo 100mm (4") rear extension boxes.

I also had two "top hat" extension lens boards for the front.

The combination of the extension lens boards on the front, along with the 100mm extension box on the rear, allowed me to use my Fujinon 450C lens with those cameras.

However, the OP is inquiring about a suitable portrait lens for a Toyo A.

A 300 mm lens would be more than adequate for his needs. He doesn't need an extension.

Beverly Hills, California

I have a Toyo 45 AII, the owners manual says 240mm is the max without the 100mm extension, yet some of you are saying 300mm without the extension back - but are you able to focus a 300mm lens close enough for portrait work on the Toyo45a?

Octogenarian

Yes.