Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: London, UK

London, UK

I might be sent there working for a few months. Is there anything I should bring with me? (I mean, I have a 810 probably will leave it home, and just bring my 45 camera with me) Is there anything particular expensive in UK, or generally everything there is expensive? What is the VAT? If I have working visa in UK, am I free to travel to anywhere in Europe Union?

Re: London, UK

Things are cheaper in the UK than they were, because the GBP is much weaker against the USD than it was - but anything that's imported (film, cameras, electronics - most things these days really) is generally still more expensive than the US.

VAT is 17.5% at the moment, but we have an election due and who knows what it will be after that (someone has to pay for all those crooked bankers), but prices are always quoted with VAT included, so the ticket price is the price you pay.

AFAIK you can most cross national borders in the EU without even being stopped and checked, but airlines and channel crossings still require passports. I think when you enter the UK (assuming we let you in) you automatically gain entry to the rest of the EU.

VAT levels are different in the various EU countries (some are up to 25%). It used to be possible to buy things without VAT for temporary visitors from outside the EU. A lot of paperwork/procedures were involved - and the buyer is expected to pay the relevant duties when he/she re-enters their country of residence! Travelling around Europe by air has become the cheapest means of travel in the last few years. Companies like Ryanair etc. offer routes almost everywhere, including main provincial cities and medit. islands. You will have to search for the best days/times to get the right deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    I might be sent there working for a few months. ...
    If you'd like a day or two out with your camera outside of London (but still in England!) I'd be happy to oblige. PM me if interested.

VAT is included in the price of what you buy, when you buy it. Forget about it unless you plan on collecting all your receipts and trying to claim it back at customs on the way home. Most stores don't have the forms readily available for VAT return.

Are you sure about the free-crossing to the rest of Europe Patrick?? I would of thought any foreign national would still need to check with his/her embassy before they try to go into Europe even if they've arrived in the UK. Mostly this is because we're separated from the continent - if you're in France you can easily hop the border to Benelux or Germany, or Spain.

Songyun, ask in your local travel agent or embassy for info on getting through Europe.

Don't try to set up a 5x4 on the streets of London, you're likely to get it knocked over by the other thousand tourists trying to get a photo of whatever it's directed at. Police are very sensitive toward cameras in general right now.

Most places outside of the most busy tourism areas you might be able to set your camera up, but be prepared for a lot of questions (if not from the pork pies, from the other tourists).

Depending on your budget and how long you're over for, you may be good to leave the heaviest items home and buy them here (like tripod). It depends what your airline is like for excessive baggage.

Can't help as far as opinion on film, because you'll have a lot of places to buy it in London, but the price will make you cry.

Oh and if you got the time, head down my way, I can show you Avebury and Stonehenge and all that kinda stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Are you sure about the free-crossing to the rest of Europe Patrick?? I would of thought any foreign national would still need to check with his/her embassy before they try to go into Europe even if they've arrived in the UK.
    Well I'm not 100% sure, but if you drive across EU Europe these days, you can't find anyone at the old border crossings to show a passport to ... even if you wanted to.

That's true once you're on the continent and on-land, but I don't think it holds true for any more public means of transport, and getting to and from the UK. I had issues coming back from France once and I'm a Brit.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I found it much easier to use a TLR or MF SLR with a monopod during my days in London (and other parts of UK).

Thanks everyone! Steve, Ash, thanks for the invitation. What I have known so far is that I can not work in U.S. till Oct, meanwhile I might be sent to London to work until then. I wish to get to work as soon as possible. I think I will bring a Chamonix 45N1 (not the new N2, although I wish I had a N2) with a few light weight lens, and maybe a handheld 45 (which is still in production...) As for film, I shot b&w + RVP. Maybe it's time to stock some RVP QLs? Things on my short list ... hmm... ps945, I dont know if there are any shop in UK has the lens in stock so that I can take a close look at this lens. I process the film at home on CPP2, I guess that I will bring the exposed film back to U.S. to process.

What is the weather like in London from April to October?