Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Epson 3800 & Replacement Inks?

Epson 3800 & Replacement Inks?

I have a Epson 3800 printer and have always used Epson ink.But I've been tempted to try the replacement brands (mainly because of price) but I'm affraid if I tried the ink and didn't like it would it screw up my printer.Have any of you tried the replacement inks?

Re: Question?????

yes it screws up printers in a surprisingly short time

stick with the real stuff and accept the costs

Re: Question?????

which ones - it depends. Cone's inks are very good. They are next generation type inks...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Cool Re: Epson 3800 & Replacement Inks?

shades of paper sells 3800 inks for$49.95, best price I have seen.

Re: Epson 3800 & Replacement Inks?

For me the excellent inks was one of the deciding factors when purchasing the 3800!

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Cunningham View Post
    shades of paper sells 3800 inks for$49.95, best price I have seen.
    Check out antonline---I buy carts for $43.

http://www.antonline.com/antonline.p...epson+3800+ink

Florida Keys

Jon Cone inks all the way.
    Match my prints from epson ink perfectly.
    My b&w's are great using the color ink set.
    Meaning I am not using the 7 b&w ink set.
    I have the color ink set and print b&w with the ABW driver.
    Great custtomer service.

How long do the ink cartridges last? At $450 more or less, Epson at $59 being more, they should be good for some mileage. But if you can afford a 3800 then maybe the ink isn't a major consideration. It sure is a fine printer, has anyone here had trouble with the Pizza Wheel flaw on their prints? The faint light dot lines from the output wheels tracking though the ink. I'd like to get one for digital negatives if I knew for sure there wasn't going to be a problem. I order and received the R1900 and it printed glossy fine for the first dozen then started to lay out the dot line in the ink. I returned it to Epson this afternoon. They said the head must have mechanically dropped or something else so a refund is coming. Now I have to get another model. I've been looking at the 3800 but want to print on OHP film without any problems. Maybe I should save for a 4880 model.

OHP on the 3800 works fine, but to avoid any pizza lines, use the front feed option.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    How long do the ink cartridges last? At $450 more or less, Epson at $59 being more, they should be good for some mileage. But if you can afford a 3800 then maybe the ink isn't a major consideration. It sure is a fine printer, has anyone here had trouble with the Pizza Wheel flaw on their prints? The faint light dot lines from the output wheels tracking though the ink. I'd like to get one for digital negatives if I knew for sure there wasn't going to be a problem. I order and received the R1900 and it printed glossy fine for the first dozen then started to lay out the dot line in the ink. I returned it to Epson this afternoon. They said the head must have mechanically dropped or something else so a refund is coming. Now I have to get another model. I've been looking at the 3800 but want to print on OHP film without any problems. Maybe I should save for a 4880 model.
    I've replaced four of the cartridges that came with the printer once in the 3 years this month that I've owned the 3800. The others will need to be replaced soon. It would be hard to estimate how many prints I've made in what sizes because I usually wait to print until I have a batch of 10 or more worth printing. And since I'm not a high-volume photographer, that can mean the printer sometimes sits idle for a month or so.

I think I paid $50 per cartridge at Atlantic Exchange when I bought my replacements. I don't know if that's still their current price or not (or my memory could be wrong on the price).

With respect to pizza wheels, funny you should ask. I never had that or any other problem with the printer (once I learned how to feed the paper from the back feed) until last night. After not having used the printer for about a month the first print I made had six small black dots more or less evenly spaced running across the top of the left-hand side of the paper (left as you're facing the front of the printer). All of the later prints were fine. These dots weren't faint so I don't know if that's the problem you're describing but I'll do some investigating if it happens again.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.