Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shutter speed tester

Shutter speed tester

Anyone try one of these? They look pretty good.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Shutter-Tester-f...item27ae085bfc

Re: Shutter speed tester

I haven't used one but I agree they do look pretty good. Did you buy it? That seems a good price.

I'm also interested in other peoples opinions on the device.

hacker extraordinaire

Too much. I could make a similar device for <30, including LCD readout. I suppose that means I should be in the business myself.

Too risky. No picture. You would be trading with a lawless country (at least where consumers are concerned).

I don't see that there's that much risk. He is an ebay employee, 1400 purchases with 100% positive feedback and he's sold 13 of these gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by jwaddison View Post
    I don't see that there's that much risk. He is an ebay employee, 1400 purchases with 100% positive feedback and he's sold 13 of these gadgets.
    I agree. Mr. Zhou is a reputable dealer. I've seen a lot of his stuff, especially his Leica cases, which are quite nice. I know that one of those testers can be made for a lot less, but when you are as handy with a soldering iron as I am, it pays to have someone market this item.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    Too risky. No picture.
    I use Safari and the pic icons down further in the listing can be opened in a new window by right clicking on them.

I have one of these - works accurately (even more so if you combine it with a laser pointer). It rather looks as if it is a refined small series production of the shutter timer once published by the German/Dutch electronics DIY mag Elektor/Elektuur - which was back then about 60DM for the parts kit and two or three hours assembly, without case or power supply, so $120 is fair, even more so considering that I'd have to spend a couple of hours locating the parts (or current replacements) individually nowadays.

Sevo

Some guy from another forum used this free audio recording software (I downloaded it, but have not used it). Wat you do is you record the opening and the closing sounds. Then you can measure accurately the time. The program can be found here:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

I have one of these too... they're branded "OMES"

sure, it looks like a simple device that someone who does electronics might knock up pretty cheaply at home but for most people getting all the parts and tools and then making one would be prohibitive so I think the asking price is actually very fair. I haven't used a soldering iron for over 20 years and I'd never finish the project!

overall, I'm glad I bought it. I've used it to check several old shutters and flagged one I wanted to mount an old barrel lens into as behaving very erratic so that one got sent off for service before I wasted any time/film shooting with it. Fortunately most of my shutters seem to be close enough to marked times that I won't worry about the errors.

I can now get an objective speed for my packard shutters and toy cameras etc but, for me, the main value has been measuring how consistently a shutter runs.