Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Tilt/swing filter

  1. #1

    Tilt/swing filter

    I've seen some photographers use a special filter with their MF and 35mm gear. The filter, which is often rotated, creates a sliver of sharp focus, similar to using tilt and/or swing with LF. My questions are: 1) What type of filter is t his? 2) How is it made? 3) Who makes it?

    Many thanks.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Mar 1998

    Tilt/swing filter

    It isn't a filter, it is a lens mounted in a rotating mount with a tilt and shift movements built in. The photographers are usingthe lens for an anti-Schiempflug effect.

    Canon makes three Tilt/Shift lenses for the EOS cameras: a 24mm, a 45mm and a 90mm. (If I am not exact about the focal lengths I am very close).

    Nikon makes a single Tilt/Shift lens right now which will fit on all Nikon F mount cameras: the 85mm f/2.8D Tilt/Shift Micro Nikkor. Very good for portraits and still life.

    Mamiya makes two relatively long focal length lenses and a tilting adapter board forthe RZ67 cameras.

    Hasselblad made two "mini-view cameras" for the Hasselblad system --the Arcview and the Flexbody. Neither of which I really liked.

    And there is a German company called Zoerk that makes adapters for a number of bodies and lenses. looks interesting but I haven't tried one.

    I guess you could make or have made a diopter lenses that has a section missing out it through which you might focus normally and the diopter portions would through everything else would be out of focus.

    There are also a couple of filtration/lighting controldevices which can give or enhance the fuzziness of a given area: the Plume Ltd. Tallat and the Hosemaster Turbo filter.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 1998

    Tilt/swing filter

    And of course there is Adobe Photoshop or a similar image manipulation program.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2000

    Tilt/swing filter

    I remember that Cokin used to have it in their catalog... they called Split-Field filter...I never use it but go here...

    or here..

  5. #5

    Tilt/swing filter

    I wasn't aware that those lenses could rotate, that's why I thought of a filter.

    It occurred to me that if there is such a filter, it may be possible to add an intersecting sliver of sharp focus. I could probably create the same effect in a few minutes with a feathered selection and a Gaussian blur in Photoshop.

  6. #6

    Tilt/swing filter

    Matthew, the feathered selection with any one of the PS blur filters was my first idea as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Arca swing and tilt precision
    By Hening Bettermann in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29-Mar-2006, 22:03
  2. Tilt/shift/swing for portrait photography
    By Harold Levine in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 20-Mar-2006, 11:51
  3. Front swing,shift and rear swing,shift on a Sinar F-1
    By DYMERSKY MICHAEL in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-Sep-2004, 06:06
  4. Tilt and swing, front and rear
    By Ian Fields in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 28-Nov-2003, 11:04
  5. Tilt/Swing?
    By Angela_1158 in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-May-2000, 00:55


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts