Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current landscape photographers breaking new ground.

Current landscape photographers breaking new ground.

Ooooo, this is fun. New names to explore that are meaningful to our members. I second the vote however for web addresses if possible for any votes; just saves me some work on Google....

Scott

Three pages of Toshio Shibata pictures at: http://members.aol.com/shibata810/index.htm

16 pictures by Richard Misrasch: http://www.eyestorm.com/artists/ar1_artist_profile.asp?artist_id=29

www.fatali.com

Neil Folberg www.neilfolberg.com.

I have a very warm place in my heart to the "new Topogrphics" guys like Joe Deal , Stephen Shore, Robert Adams,Frank Gohlke and Lewis Baltz. I guess they were the photogra phers which influenced me the most since I first took on photograpy. I think there is a dire ct line between their work and those of recent German photographers (Struth, Gursky, Ruf f, Hoffer and others) - not suprising as most, if not all,of them studied under Bernd Bech er (the only non-American in that famous exhibition). Although I know that for me they a re still relevant as an inspiration and role-models, I can't escape the feeling that afte r all, it's been almost 30 years since that show, which identified and summerized this aproa ch - what has changed since then in photography? How is it that apart from those Becher-st udents we don't see much happening in that field? what will be the next major step after t hat made in hte early 70's by Adams, Baltz, and their colleagues? I'm not saying this out of disrespect - on the conterary - I'm still so under their influence, that I try to think if t here is something new to learn from it, to evolve from it.

Hagai Kaufman, Tel Aviv www.geocities.com/hagaki1

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts! I've enjoyed visiting websites of many of the artists mentioned. Best,

Chris www.jordanphoto.com

Hagai,

You pose interesting questions. I am a huge fan of the Bechers. Their books are brillianty sequenced, an art form in itself. There some photographers following in the footsteps (wheel ruts) of the New Topographics, but not Becher students (seems like two different categories you mention). These include photographers working with the Center for American Places - see Laurie Brown's panoramas of Western sprawl ("Recent Terrains") and Terry Evans's aerial photographs of the prairie. Bob Thall's city pictures are also interesting. The Center's website is www.americanplaces.org Click on Photography and Books.

There are plenty of photographers who see landscape as part of the human environment and vice versa. Whether they are breaking new ground since Robert Adams, Lewis Baltz, and gang, I don't know.

Clay

Check out www.kerik.com and www.jkschreiber.com for palladium landscapes that are evocative as well as descriptive.

....All bad art comes from returning to Life and Nature, and elevating them to ideals.Life and Nature may sometimes be used as part of Art rough material, before they are of any real service they must be translated into artistic convention. Tha moment Art surrender its imaginative medium , it surrenders everything. As a method realism is a complete failure, and the two things that every artist should avoid are modernity of form and modernity of subject matter. Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life. This results not merely from Life's imitative instinct, but from the fact that the self conscious aim of lifeis to find expression, and that Art offers certain beautiful forms through which it may realize that energy.

Lying, the telling of beautiful untrtue thungs is the proper aim of Art

Oscar Wilde

Ansel Adams and followers are a bore.