Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current landscape photographers breaking new ground.

Current landscape photographers breaking new ground.

Hi everyone,

I've found the last couple of threads about LF aesthetics to be really interesti ng. I think there can be "evolution" within any genre, provided artists try to s tay true to themselves. What are some folks' favorite current landscape artists who are "breaking new ground"? I'm really into Toshio Shibata. I find his use of space to be really intriguing. Thanks,

Chris Jordan (Boston)

Walter Niedermayr who works in the Alps. The scale in his photographs is amazing.

Whenever possible, if you could list a URL for the photo gods you mention, that would be greatly helpful. I vote for Jack Dykinga (www.dykinga.com).

I don't feel that Jack Dykinga is breaking new ground, so much as doing the old rocks trees and water extremely well.

For landscape phoographers breaking new ground, I would have to say Richard Misrach; Andreas Gursky; Joel Meyereowitz (maybe...?);Virginia Beehan & Laura McPhee (a duet); Karin Apollonia Muller and John Davies. To name a few.

tim a
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Tim,

I second Andreas Gursky and would add Anthony Hernandez and occasionally Lewis Baltz. (These guys don't seem to mess with websites too much but a Google search on their names will result in Gallery references.)

Wilderness landscape bores the tits off me ad nauseum but the city scape and/or the hand of man I find extremely captivating in which case Joel Sternfeld would have to fit in alongside Joel Meyerowitz. Albert Watson also acquitted himself admirably with landscape in his book Morocc.

Gabriele Basilico is a latter day Atget in my estimation and Hatje Cantz has done a wonderful comparative landscape study of East and West Germany since re-unification.

Ex-pat British photographer currently in California, Michael Kenna, adds a somnambulist's account of the landscape.

Food for thought,

Walter Glover

Sally Mann, Hope Sandrow, Linda Connor, Lynn Davis.

One of my favorites is Gabrielle Basilico

Yes, Sally Mann, Gabriele Basilico, Koudelka and those following on from Robert Adams and Joe Deal and the New Topographers etc

tim a
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Almost forgot, Mark Klett.

I ditto Sandy's quartet of women doing interesting landscape work, plus Susan Derges.