Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The most comfortable backpacks for LF

The most comfortable backpacks for LF

If compartiments, padding, and quick access are a priority, i'd have to recommend the lowepro trekker bags (several sizes to choose from) which have a better suspension system and construction than other photo backpacks I have seen. If comfort is a priority, try a regular front-loading backpack. I like the Dana Designs. When going on a long hike when most of the time is spent hiking, I am use the Dana Swiftcurrent, otherwise the Lowepro Super Trekker.

I haven't taken my 4x5 backpacking, but I've carried it on day hikes. I use a Jansport 40 liter top loading pack I picked up at REI for $60 or so. It's got a decent harness, is light, and is pretty comfortable. I thought about a Lowepro, but couldn't justify the money.

The drawbacks are that it isn't padded, and gear can only be accessed from the top. However, when I'm in a wet area, I only have to put the bottom of my pack down, rather than the back. The other drawback is that it isn't padded. I wrap my camera in the darkcloth, put my lense in a wrap, and my holders in an arctic zone insulated bag. My meter and loupe go in an outside pocket, and I tie my tripod to the back.

If I were a little more compulsive, I'd put the lens, meter, and loupe in a tupperware container, and put closed cell foam around the camera.

This setup worked well for me this Christmas in Olympic National Park.

DW

I second the use of external frame backpack. I bought a Dana Design K2 (Dana Design's workmanship is very good) from an auction for $60.00. Then I bought a plastic storage box from Walmart for $3.00. I place my field camera/lenses/meters/polaroid film holder inside this storage box for protection again 'bumping' and at the same time waterproof my equipments in case of rain. I have enough room to even put a tripod (BOgen 3021/extra clothing/food in this pack for day hikes.

Robert, I purchased a Tenba pack. It was advertised as the largest carry-on backpack for the airlines. I like it and suggest you look at one. Joel

As someone else noted earlier, what is most comfortable can depend on how big of a person you are. The most comfortable pack I've found so far is the LowePro Super Trekker AW. It's an enormous pack, but I can fit my Linhof monorail system, a few lenses, filters, film holders, meter, etc in it and carry the whole lot respectable distances (done up to 12 miles) comfortably. The whole pack when loaded up weighs about 45 lbs, and when you consider that I weigh abot 142 lbs, that's a good 30% of my bodyweight. The construction of the pack is extremely good- very rugged and the expedition quality harness is superb. I was able to make the pat fit my torso very well- not surprising considering the kind of experience Lowe has making packs. At 5'7" I'm probably shorter than you, too, but a friend has a Lowe pack and it fits him comfortably, and he's 6'3". If you live near any kind of large camera store, you should try going in and trying on different packs. First hand experience really seems to be the only way to guarantee a comfortable fit. Let us know what you decide.

I found that the Chevrolet Suburban made the best back pack, The straps were comfortable and the dual zone airconditioning made the hottest days inthe Fraser River Canyon area of British Columbia bearable. The weight was extreeme at 6000 LBS but the self powered ability was appreciated.

I have a Tenba and I believe the model is a 264 PBL. I just got back from a trip to Death Valley (about an hour ago) and the back pack worked out quite well for my 4X5 system. Worth a look but on the expensive side.