Thread: globus/ Ernemann camera info requested

globus/ Ernemann camera info requested

Hello, i'm new on this forum and i have a question:

I have a photocamera with the name GLOBUS on it.
    I think it is a very old camera , wood with red cupper, on a black wooden frame.

Who can give me furher information about it, age,wat it's worth and how can i sale it?
    please take a look at the pictures and let me know?

Best regards,

joep
    Netherlands.

Re: globus/ Ernemann camera info requested

Ernemann bought up Herbst&Firl, the original maker of the Globus series, in 1899. What information I have on Ernemann is rather incomplete - but the Globus was still listed in 1914 by Haake&Albers (one of the leading German photo store chains back then), and I can find no indication of it having been renamed and continued in the big German camera industry merger into Zeiss Ikon in 1926, so these are the outer limits for its discontinuation. Given that post war Ernemann focused on all metal cine and press cameras built around the fastest lenses of the time, it is unlikely that something as outdated as a wooden travel camera was carried on for long after WWI, but members of the German camera industry have done even more odd things to survive the inflation years.

There is a 18x24 Globus G listed in a past Westlicht auction (http://www.westlicht-auction.com/ind...et=1&_ssl=off).

Re: globus/ Ernemann camera info requested

I have seen quite a lot of references to the Ernemann Globus models which seem to indicate top-of-the-range reisekameras (mostly 18x24cm) into the 1920's - and even studio camera models. The reisekamera market may have diminished after 1918 but I can still see a restricted range on offer in Scandinavian catalogues from as late as1935 (13x18, 18x24 and 24x30). I know that competitors at Bentzin were still producing their 19th Century mahogany cameras at the same time as they were developing high technology cameras. Every small market was of interest until the Zeiss-Ikon formation came along.