Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better focusing screen for Wista VX

Better focusing screen for Wista VX

I have a Wista VX. As is well known, the focusing screen is not that great when it comes to wide angle lenses. What is the recommendation for a replacement that isn't going to cost more than the camera? Something that can accomodate a wide variety of lenses, I don't want to have to swap the screen to use long or wide lenses.

Re: Better focusing screen for Wista VX

Do you have a new or old Wista GG and fresnel? Do you have the normal Wista fresnel or the telephoto one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Do you have a new or old Wista GG and fresnel? Do you have the normal Wista fresnel or the telephoto one?
    How can I tell? All I know is that it looks awful with my 90mm lens.

Quote Originally Posted by cmmatthews View Post
    How can I tell? All I know is that it looks awful with my 90mm lens.
    Technically, "looks awful" does not impart a lot of information. Does that mean that it is scratched and dirty? Out of focus? Flat with no contrast? Large hot spot? or something else/

Looks awful is not a response that we, as the Wista and Linhof distributor for the USA, normally hear - in fact, never hear.

If you have a new camera do you have a Wista Fresnel and is it properly installed? If you have a used camera do you have a the assembled Wista labled GG and Fresnel screen properly installed in your camera? Did you install it?

Technically, "looks awful" does not impart a lot of information. Does that mean that it is scratched and dirty? Out of focus? Flat with no contrast? Large hot spot? or something else/

Looks awful is not a response that we, as the Wista and Linhof distributor for the USA, normally hear - in fact, never hear.

If you have a new camera do you have a Wista Fresnel and is it properly installed? If you have a used camera do you have a the assembled Wista labled GG and Fresnel screen properly installed in your camera? Did you install it?
    The Fresnel/GG came installed on the camera. It's got the Wista brand on it so I am fairly certain it is stock.

It looks fine with my 150mm lens. The 90mm shows what looks like horrendous vignetting that change as a I vary the angle that I look at the GG.

Something sounds not quite right, I have a Wista 45DX and the Wista marked fresnel/'screen screen that came with it is superb. Definitely no vignetting as youre describing.

I use mine with a 90mm & 65mm with no issues, and just checked it as I'm writing.

Bob Salomon may be able to throw more light on your problem, maybe there are different screens, but are you sure it's not the lens that's vignetting, rather than the screen.

Ian

The Fresnel/GG came installed on the camera. It's got the Wista brand on it so I am fairly certain it is stock.

It looks fine with my 150mm lens. The 90mm shows what looks like horrendous vignetting that change as a I vary the angle that I look at the GG.
    Do you have the GG/fresnel screen sandwich with the cover glass or just a gg with no fresnel. If the fresnel is installed is it in the proper position with the grooves facing the lens?
    And is this a new or used camera?

Do you have the GG/fresnel screen sandwich with the cover glass or just a gg with no fresnel. If the fresnel is installed is it in the proper position with the grooves facing the lens?
    And is this a new or used camera?
    It's got a protective grid glass screen and a combo fresnel/gg. There is no ground glass per se. The fresnel is the focusing screen.

This is a used camera. It's installed properly, as it has a "Wista" on the fresnel which is oriented properly.

Like I said, the 150mm lens looks fine. The 90mm looks poor. If I vary the angle I look at it, I can see the image. If I just look dead on I can only see the center.

It's got a protective grid glass screen and a combo fresnel/gg. There is no ground glass per se. The fresnel is the focusing screen.

This is a used camera. It's installed properly, as it has a "Wista" on the fresnel which is oriented properly.

Like I said, the 150mm lens looks fine. The 90mm looks poor. If I vary the angle I look at it, I can see the image. If I just look dead on I can only see the center.
    I have only positive experience with my WISTA 4x5 Groundglass/Fresnel combination .
    I bought my WISTA Technical VX camera brand new many years ago with original WISTA grid lines focusing screen. It is great for architecture/landscape work in the 300-65mm range. A little black out on any Fresnel screen is noticed if eye (loupe) is out of axis.

I had the same thing you describe here happen with a Tachihara screen and a 90mm lens. I just chalked it up to being the nature of some Fresnels. Fresnels need to be viewed pretty much straight on. If you're viewing it at a fairly steep angle that may be the problem. Does the same thing happen even when you look straight at it rather than holding your head at an angle? If so, and if you have it installed correctly, you may just need to replace the screen.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.