Thread: Lee Filter/Hood and older non-threaded lenses

Lee Filter/Hood and older non-threaded lenses

(Yes, I did do a search first, but couldn't find anything).

I just received a new Lee hood w/ 2 filter slots and a couple adaptor rings for my modern lenses, and I'm sold. Next, I'll order rings for my other lenses (wasn't sure if I wanted this on all my LF lenses, but now I do), but my c. 1960 Zeiss lens doesn't have any threading for modern filters, so no adaptor ring. I noticed that my 67mm ring is just larger than the outer diameter of the Zeiss lens.

Has anyone tried building up gaffer's tape and just press-fitting a standard ring onto a non-threaded lens? I know I could get SK Grimes to make a press-on adaptor to take 67mm filters, but if it's only going to take an adaptor ring anyway, I was wondering if there's a better way. Is there another product that would clamp onto the outside of the lens and take the Lee hood?

I also got the snap-on holder for the Zeiss lens, but I like the idea of using the hood as well as the filters.

Thanks in advance,

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Re: Lee Filter/Hood and older non-threaded lenses

First, rather than buying a bunch or expensive adapter rings, I use step up rings that go up to 82mm which is my largest lens diameter. You may run into vignetting on very wide lenses but no issues in my case. I've posted this here before as a trick with threadless lenses- get some ATG "snot" tape and roll it lengthwise into a "thread", stick it onto the threads of a step up ring slightly smaller than the lens front and press it on.* It holds really well for me but I haven't hung the lee system with shade off of those lenses. Search snot tape here for a longer description.

*let it sit for a couple days before putting weight on it.
    it's removable too, unlike other options.

Re: Lee Filter/Hood and older non-threaded lenses

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    First, rather than buying a bunch or expensive adapter rings, I use step up rings that go up to 82mm which is my largest lens diameter. You may run into vignetting on very wide lenses but no issues in my case. I've posted this here before as a trick with threadless lenses- get some ATG "snot" tape and roll it lengthwise into a "thread", stick it onto the threads of a step up ring slightly smaller than the lens front and press it on.* It holds really well for me but I haven't hung the lee system with shade off of those lenses. Search snot tape here for a longer description.

*let it sit for a couple days before putting weight on it.
    Looks to be an art supply type of tape, and there's an art supply shop down the street, so I'll see if they have it.

Searching for "ATG snot" also got some recommendations for hot melt glue and adaptor rings, that might work too. I'll try the ATG double-sided stuff first.

Thanks,

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/