Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microtek ArtixScan 1800f scanner

Microtek ArtixScan 1800f scanner

I'm going to look at a Microtek ArtixScan 1800f ($150). I see 5 year old posts here that are generally positive about this scanner. Epson 4990s are going for $200-300 on ebay +shipping, and locally available scanners in this range are pretty few and far between.

I'm wondering if anyone is still using an 1800f, wondering how they hold up after 5 or 10 years. Obviously, if it breaks it won't be worth fixing, but if I can get a couple more years out it I think it's worth it.

edit add: I use a Mac with OS X 10.4.11 and it looks like the drivers for I'd need are still available from Microtek.

...Mike

Preston Birdwell

Re: Microtek ArtixScan 1800f scanner

Mike,

I have an 1800f using Windoze. I've had mine for about 6 years. It continues to be trouble-free. I use Silverfast AI for my scanning software. Scan Wizard-Pro (the Microtek software) is pretty good. I used Vue Scan some time ago. It worked fine. but I just didn't like the interface.

If you buy it, be absolutely sure to unlock the scan head before you fire it up.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I'm with Preston - I still use my 5-6 year old 1800f. My only complaint is occasional streaks on my scans but that seems to be from dust on the pre-scan portion of the neg. carrier. If it works properly I thing its a steal for $150. I use the same Mac OS as you and it make great scans of 4x5 and 5x7 negs.

Dave

Me too with a problem-free 5-6 year 1800f. I have scanned hundreds of 120, 4x5 and 8x10 chromes.

recently I upgrade my computer to MAC OS 10.5. I was able to download compatible driver from Microtek website. Too bad I can't upgrade free with Silverfast so I'm using Microtek's own ScanWizard software, works fine.

Thanks for the response everyone. Looks like it's a go.

...Mike

lazy retired bum

I'd recommend giving it a try or having a return policy for at least long enough to run a few scans. I've had mine since 8/06. It is not often used these days as I do very little work with my 4x5. I have had some streaking occasionally but overall it has worked well. The late Ted Harris recommended it to me then as the best 4x5 scanner short of an Imacon, and better than the Epsons of the time, (4990, I believe). I have never tested it against an Epson of any vintage so cannot comment. Microtek no longer has a presence in the US market, if that's where you are, so if it dies, it's gone. For the price, it's certainly worth a careful look.

Good luck.

Eric

lazy retired bum

I use it with Silverfast, I cannot recall the version, and Mac OX 10.5, no problems.

Eric

The image quality of the 1800f was decent for the price, but if the scanner you are buying was used in a studio or production environment I'd steer clear of it. The internal components aren't built for high-volume scanning, and even when Microtek was still in business they wouldn't sell parts -- you had to send in your equipment for repairs. I had three of these scanners fail because of mechanical problems a few years ago, and it was the same part every time.

If you do get it, I'd echo Eric's suggestion to use Silverfast.

Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post

If you do get it, I'd echo Eric's suggestion to use Silverfast.
    I just went to the Silverfast website and it looks like it cost $398 for the basic version?! If that's correct I think I'll try VueScan ($40 - $80) first.

...Mike

The basic version should have come with the scanner...you might ask the person you bought it from if they still have it.