Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format Photographers in Canada?

Large Format Photographers in Canada?

Recently I've noticed a few people sign off as being in Canada.

I'm interested - how many of us are there up here shooting LF? Where are we scat tered. I don't think I've ever run across anyone in the field shooting LF!

Maybe a quick survey of who and where? Maybe, scattered across our vast land (bi gger than the US you know - lots of shooting opportunities!!) we may even stop a nd have a beer some day...

Tim Atherton

imitating a brass monkey in Yellowknife...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Hi Tim! I am a Toronto based large-format (4 x 5) fine art photographer specializing in architecture and urban landscape. I actually think there are quite a few of us around Toronto including luminaries like Ed Burtynsky, Steven Evans, etc. Where are you based? (You may contact me off-list.)

Like, how's it goin', eh? Want a beer? :-)

I'm from Calgary. I make regular forays out to the mountains, especially in the Kananaskis area. I've spent a bit of time in Yoho (Takkikaw Falls, Lake O'Hara) as well, but not as much as I'd like.

I'd be very interested in meeting any other LF photographers in the Calgary area - it's always fun to go out with people and shoot - you gain insight into how other people work. I'm pretty new to the whole LF thing, so I try and learn any way I can!

Cheers!

-klm.

I live in Ottawa and use 4x5 and 8x10 formats. We have a small informal group of LF photographers here in Ottawa that meet on a monthly basis to chat about things.

Hi,

I'm in Vancouver. Shooting mostly in the studio with my 4x5 but I want to bring it up the Sea to Sky Hwy soon!

I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia (www.evolvingbeauty.com), and shoot black and white on 4x5, 8x10 and occasionally 12x20. Currently I'm working on converting my 4x5 enlarger to print 8x10...

Here in the maritimes we have a decent community of LF photographers; three 8x10 enlargers that I know of in this city, 3 or more times that many 8x10 cameras in at least occasional use, and 10 times or more users of 4x5. This is a factor of having the Nova Scotia College of Art and Design in the city of course, but outside of Halifax, we have, among others, Jeff Amos in Lunenburg, NS (www.jeffamos.com), 4x5-12x20, and Thaddeus Holownia (http://www.holownia.com) in Sackville, NB, 7x17 black and white and colour neg. I am of course leaving out too many people, but we are here, though thinly spread, no doubt.

Best of the new year to all.

Hi Tim,

I'm just north of Calgary and also spend time in the mountains. Kananaskis area as well as Banff tend to be where I like to shoot most when I can get there. Also last year explored the Yoho area (Takkikaw Falls and Emerald Lake) and intend on going back that way this year. Every year I take a forray into the interior of BC and try my luck there. Perhaps I may swing north and knock on your door sometime and you can teach me a thing or two.

A cold Canuck,

Hey, I'm from Vancouver (that's about 3 hours north of Vancouver, Washington). I take lots of low contrast photos of rain, in rain, about rain. Dean
    Dean Lastoria

Grey Wolf, drop me a line sometime, and we'll go shooting in the mountains...just north of Calgary, huh? Whereabouts?

Or is that where-a-boots? :-)

I live right on the West edge of the city, about 2 minutes from the Trans Canada, so getting to K-Country takes an hour. Very handy.

Have you made it to Lake O'Hara? An absolute gem hidden in the Rockies, and only about 30 minutes this side of Takkikaw...

Cheers!

-klm.

I'm in Montreal, I shoot mostly architecture. I don't think there's a terribly huge LF community here either, which is a shame since we do have a lot of beautiful old buildings.