Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a rail camera be better to work faster in the field?

Can a rail camera be better to work faster in the field?

Hello!
    Iīm shoosing my first 8x10 camera. I will do mainly out of the studio work.
    My question is: can a "studio" camera like the Sinar P2 or the recent Arca-swiss ones, with all its sofisticated adjustments be better to carry around than a field camera?
    I know they are supposed to be more cumbersome to carry, BUT can they actually be faster to operate in the field than a "field camera", because of their more developed adjustments?

What says your real world experience, using the two kinds of cameras? Donīt forget I'm speaking about 8x10".

Nelson

Big Negs Rock!

Re: Can a rail camera be better to work faster in the field?

I bought a Deardorff V8 to shoot 8x10 after lugging my Sinar P2 around. I do shoot the Sinar in 4x5 or 5x7 in the field, just not 8x10.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

I shoot Arca Swiss 4X5 and 8X10. The 4X5 is a Field model and is as fast to set up, take down, and shoot as a friend who has a 4X5 Zone Vi field and a 8X10 Deardorff. Plus I can change bellows quickly to use lenses at opposite ends of the range. After watching my friend and others using the field cameras I am happy to have the Arcas.

The 4X5 Field is no more cumbersome or heavy than a wooden field camera.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I found that I set-up and shoot my Toyo-Field 45AX far quicker than my Robos which is similar to the Sinar P2. With the Robos, though, I always use the front shift which I rarely use on the Field. Probably the convenience of the geared movements makes you experiment more.

"I know they are supposed to be more cumbersome to carry, BUT can they actually be faster to operate in the field than a "field camera", because of their more developed adjustments?"

In my opinion, yes. I've owned Tachihara, Shen-Hao, Kodak and Wisner field cameras, and a Sinar, Calumet, and Arca-Swiss rail cameras. 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10.

With the right case, you can leave a monorail camera fully assembled, with a lens on the camera. You just put it on the tripod, level it, and you're ready. This is especially helpful if you tend to shoot with the same lens for most scenes. With a metal camera, you don't have to worry about scratches and water damage. You don't even need a case for the camera. You can leave it in the trunk of your vehicle, assembled - or carry it in a simple canvas bag.

With a complete set of geared adjustments available in both front and rear, you can work very easily, often without having to come out from under the cloth until you are ready to shoot.

8x10 equipment is heavy: the film holders in particular. If you are going to carry a bunch of 8x10 holders, a cloth, a meter, and a strong tripod, then the weight of the camera is a small consideration.

If you plan to walk or trek with your camera, then you might consider a smaller size of film. 4x5 holders are 1/4 the weight of 8x10 holders. You can either carry 4x more holders, or 1/4 the weight. A 4x5 camera weighs less, the tripod can be lighter, etc.

Hi Nelson,

I don’t use an 8x10, or know why it’s important for you to work “faster,” but a few of my habits might be transferable to that format size, and help you choose the field (or studio) camera that’s best for you.

I should add I don’t do a lot of portraits or architecture in the field – mainly landscapes.

My 4x5 field camera (5 lbs.) & 4x5 studio camera (15 lbs.) both get field action, and when I’m walking out the door, three key considerations help me choose which to bring:

1) How far will I walk/hike to my destination, and just what else am I “lugging” there?
    2) How much time will I have to set-up, compose, take the shot, and take-down?
    3) How sophisticated will my camera movements be? (This of course, influences #2).

For example…

When I’m near my destination w/ plenty of time, I enjoy using my studio camera – whether or not I think movements will be sophisticated. Once I have it set-up, I like having all the optional movements, plus the ease of applying them, some of which I may not have anticipated.

On the other hand, when I have a “hike” ahead of me, usually there is no question – I bring the much lighter field camera, no matter what I think about #2 or #3. Only if I think I’ll need several extraordinarily precise movements, and have little chance of getting the shot I want w/o them, will I consider making the extraordinary effort of hiking over hill & dale with my studio camera! But my landscape shots most typically don’t need movements like that.

I used to think that the “shorter” set-up requirements of a field camera might “save time” – when time is “of the essence” – but I’ve never felt this actually made a significant difference on any particular outing. This might be different w/ 8x10 cameras, or the type of work you do. Besides, I usually don’t shoot under time constraints, especially if they’re under my control…

To me, “slowing-down” is one of the attractions of LF work, “speeding-up” one of its cardinal sins…

As long as you aren't hiking or a marshmellow, then I think a heavy tripod and solid studio camera is always going to be faster and sharper than a field camera and a mediocre tripod. You really have to try it to understand the difference, but you can be more confident that nothing is wiggling around or changing with a heavier set-up.

I think a lot of beginners make a big mistake by buying these light wooden cameras that are difficult to set-up and adjust, and move as soon as you insert a film holder or a gust of wind comes along. Yes you can shoot w ultralight gear and you can carry it to the top of Everest for all I care, but if you want to learn how to use a view camera as easily as possible, go with a quality monorail (especially now their prices have fallen so low).

just went from folding field to Arca Swiss F-line. can clamp the detachable rail onto tripod and slide camera onto rail in about 15 seconds... and the main lens is left in place. no folding and clamping down a half dozen knobs. Just rack out the focus and remove the lens cap. Nothing could be faster. Mine is not the field version (the standard 171mm front and rear) but is moderately light. There is a special case available from http://www.photobackpacker.com/ (an APUG sponsor) that makes it quick to put away and get out in the Kelty pack. This is the fastest setup I have ever used. Also the most rigid and precise. I'm sold

You ask whether the studio camera might be "faster to operate in the field," not just set up. I don't think there's a clear answer to that, I think it depends a lot on the particular camera, the person using it, and the photograph being made. When I was at Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee's workshop there was a guy next to me using a studio camera of some sort and I was using my Deardorff 8x10. I made at least one photograph while he was still struggling to get the thing out of his pack and onto the tripod ready to shoot. But I'm sure there would have been times when someone with a different studio camera or a photographer more adept at using it would have been quicker.

I've never owned and never care to own a true studio camera because I don't do any studio work and I don't want to carry one around in the field. I've owned 14 field cameras and none of them shared any of the traits Frank mentions. Fortunately the only choices aren't to either get a studio camera or be stuck with a field camera that is difficult to set up and adjust or that moves as soon as you insert a film holder or a gust of wind comes along.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thank you everyone for the imput. Very usefull.

I'm not planning to walk a lot with the big camera. Most of the time, when I feel I need the 8x10 is in the city or the interior of some nice building.
    When I speaked about speed of operation was because I would love to make a few shots of some favorite landscapes, wich usually implies dealing with very ellusive weather and light conditions - in a moment it's there, the next second it's not anymore - and even with the medium format sometimes it's to slow.

Best wishes, from Portugal.