Thread: Saw an Edward Weston Exhibit Yesterday

Saw an Edward Weston Exhibit Yesterday

Yesterday my wife and I went to the Michner Museum in Doylestown, PA to see the exhibit of Edward Weston's work.

I was blown away, it was truly a stirring experience.

Weston is one of if not my favorite photographers and I've read extensively on him and looked at many books of his work but seeing the work in person was simply amazing.

I have to admit that even though I've been in photography for quite a long time this was the first exhibit I've seen. For various reasons I've never gotten to one before and I figured that without extensive travel I'd probably never get to see any of Weston's work up close so I jumped at the chance to see this exhibit. It was better than I could have imagined. Getting your nose 6 inches from Pepper #30, Escusado, the Nautilus shells, etc. is an experience that everyone who admires his work should have.

Not to mention the unique feeling of knowing that what you are looking at is the image as he intended, on a sheet of photographic paper that he held in his hands, and worked himself.

If anyone is in the area, I highly recommend taking it in, especially if you are an admirer of his work. I also recommend to anyone, if you can see the work of those whose photography moves you and you truly enjoy, go and do it. You won't regret it. I know this may seem obvious to a lot of you but it's just something I did not have the opportunity to do until now and I know I will be making much more of an effort to see work in person from now on.

Jim

Re: Saw an Edward Weston Exhibit Yesterday

How was the lighting?
    At many (most) of the museum exhibits I seen in the past several years, especially at major museums such as the AIC, the lighting has been so dim that the catalogs look better than the actual prints.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I thought the lighting was pretty good. It wasn't too bright but the floor and wall were a very light color so it seemed bright but didn't hinder the viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    How was the lighting?
    At many (most) of the museum exhibits I seen in the past several years, especially at major museums such as the AIC, the lighting has been so dim that the catalogs look better than the actual prints.
    That was my experience at the Ghetty meseum.The lighting was so dim, the prints look better in my books sadly.