Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: NYC "tripod law"

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: NYC "tripod law"

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    I am ...
    Rick "who works in the public sector and understands the extra obligation to be polite and lawful to the citizenry" Denney
    AMEN!

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    Of course, I was polite. How do you think they let me keep going if not? ;-)

I found this document from the Mayor's office that defines the rules pretty clearly. See the "Use of Tripods" section on page 5. I'm going to start carrying this document with me, but I wish it had some official letterhead on it and wasn't just a bare pdf.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/film/downloa...s_QA_final.pdf
    The problem is various Parks Departments do not recognize this ruling and they still equate a "tripod" to professional/commercial" and therefore require a permit when using a tripod. The Police were just doing what they were told. No interpretation is required by the police or the Parks Dept. employees. Initially nyc was going to require a permit for all tripod use, but they got strong opposition and changed it to a more sensible policy.

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Marko,

As usual, you have the correct take on all this. Thanks for speaking up!

All my film holders have written on them in big letters: "NOT DRUGS", just be safe.

...Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    I am as nice to cops as I am to everyone, and I try to be both polite and cheerful to everyone I meet. That is a moral obligation. But if I am further obligated to be particularly obsequious with cops in order to deflect impending harrassment, that false friendliness becomes a kind of bribe. No longer do we believe in the rule of law, but now we have to be fake buddies with cops to get treated the way we should be treated in any case.

Yes, cops should be able to move loiterers along, when legally authorized to do so. And owners of private property should be able to expect cops to move along loiterers on their premises. Cops should be able to break up situations where a confrontation is occurring or about to occur. None of that seems to apply to making photographs in a public park.

I respect cops for what they do, but I expect the same in return and I see no reason to tolerating being afraid of them when engaging in lawful activities.

Rick "who works in the public sector and understands the extra obligation to be polite and lawful to the citizenry" Denney
    The thing about cops that people hate is the power thing. Most people have very little personal power these days. I think it's to do with all the taming of humanity. People live together and amazingly very seldom hurt or screw each other. They get along and as a result need little personal power.

The police are to some extent the herders of this peaceful majority and have power and guns.

I think this is mildly amusing and as I am a backwoods half wild hippie I have oodles of personal power. Cops amuse me and I generally like them so I don't begrudge the tiny bit of personal power I surrender when acknowledging their status as gun carrying peace officers.

I think this is what upsets people about the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    I haven't had to get a permit in over a decade but I can recall a certain amount of flexibility that they had relating to times and locations depending on how disruptive (to the location) the photography shoot would be. If I were planning a shoot in NYC I'd know in advance the areas of interest for me and get them listed on a permit, or get multiple permits. And as a permit fir tis type of photography isn't really required, I'm sure the Mayor's office on film would be quite accommodating.

I am not saying that someone has to have a permit, but given the climate we live in and the ease and lack of cost for a permit, that having one would be very advantageous and would make it far less likely that a police officer would tell you to leave a scene.
    I think you are missing my point though. I live here. I want to be able to walk around every single weekend, wander aimlessly, and set up my camera to take things I see. And I have the right to be able to do that without being hassled, sans-permit, according to the current laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I imagine that there probably is a statue in effect that a cop can get someone to move along if in their judgement their apparatus (tripod) is a safety hazard.
    See page 5 in the doc I linked... only if you are making it so that there is less than 8 feet of space available for others. Unless or course you are breaking other laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Roody View Post
    The Police were just doing what they were told. No interpretation is required by the police or the Parks Dept. employees.
    Their job is to know the laws they are enforcing. Plain and simple. There is no excuse.

On a general note... It is truly frightening to me how many people are apologizing for this guy for impinging on my rights to photograph. I'm posting this to a photography forum, for goodness sakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    "but I wish it had some official letterhead on it and wasn't just a bare pdf."

So get a copy of the Mayors office stationery, scan it and make it "official".
    Why anyone would want to live in New York City is beyond me. A sewer with tall buildings, crowded, noisy and the place smells bad. Crime everywhere and ever negative criminal show that isn't in Miami is in New York City... ;-)
    To each his own. I love my life here.

I totally agree with John but unfortunately it's a no win situation...if a law officer happen to be on a power trip, the last thing he/she needs is to be made looking foolish by being out-talked/outsmarted...what do you think someone in that position will do. Yes, one can and should stand up to that kind of "bullying" but how many of us at the end of the day willing suffer through what ever the consequence at the sense and what ever legal proceeding that is sure to follow?

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    I think you are missing my point though. I live here. I want to be able to walk around every single weekend, wander aimlessly, and set up my camera to take things I see. And I have the right to be able to do that without being hassled, sans-permit, according to the current laws.