Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My newest LF/ULF project - Utah Bigfoot

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

My newest LF/ULF project - Utah Bigfoot

So I'm doing this project with 4x10 and 8x20. The 4x10 I am shooting HP5+ and printing in pt/pd. The 8x20 I'm shooting paper negatives and printing gelatin silver. I will shoot the occasional 8x20 negative then print in pt/pd.

Anyway, for those who might like a look-see, here's the link:

Utah Bigfoot

Here are some images:

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

I have an artist statement written at the first of the blog that explains the motivation behind this project.

I hope you enjoy it.

Brandon Allen

Re: My newest LF/ULF project - Utah Bigfoot

Love the concept. I've always enjoyed your work.
    Brandon Allen

3d Visual Effects artist

I like that 3rd shot quite alot! has a very good feel to it, and I think the long aspect ratio works quite well :-)

Welcome to the forums!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Just waiting to be developed..

Great work!
    Could you share your process for the paper negatives?
    Im shooting HP5 in my 12x20 but ive been curious about paper negatives.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Hello Michael,,,

I find this to be a interesting subject. I was 12 (1972) years old when The Legend Of Boggy Creek hit the theaters and along with the movie they played the short film and documentory by Roger Paterson and Bob Gimlin.

This movie made a big impression on me and has stayed with me in my memory and imagination like no other movie since.

My uncle was hiking one day near a place he called Prather Lake(or Lost Lake) in Morgan Monroe state forest. He told us that one time he was leaving the area on a hike and heard something following him and every time he would stop the noise would stop.. Then as he started down the road the thing following him would start to move also. Since he didn't see anything ..He passed it off as a bobcat or something but said he could have swore it sounded like a mans footsteps.

This lake is several miles back on a fire trail that is only open to public auto travel for a couple months a year durring hunting season. I have myself been down there many times on fishing trips or hunting. I did not know about my uncles experience untill just recently after hearing about it from my cousin,his son.

The second I heard about it I knew this might explain why I get the creeps every time I myself go down there.

After some time I looked up what I could find on the internet and came across a site called Bigfoot encounters .. On the site I navigated to Bigfoot sightings and Indiana where I came across several stories of Bigfoot encounters at and near Lost Lake in morgan Monroe forest. Quite interesting stories to say the least..!

Even when the road is open to traffic you can only go back to the turn around which is still a good hours walk to the lake and when the road is closed it's three hours walk.
    I've also done some research on Indiana forest and found that Hoosier National forest alone is 201,047 arces in size. Morgan Monroe is 24,000 acres, and Yellowood forest is 23,200 acres..
    Giving a grand total of around 250,000 acres of connected forest lands. That doesn't include the private, and military land that dot the state.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I appreciate it.

As for the paper negatives, there's really nothing that special about what I'm doing. I'm exposing Ilford MG IV, neutral tone at ISO 6, then processing in Sprint paper developer 1:9. Sprint is a developer very similar to Dektol, and 1:9 is the regular dilution to make regular gelatin silver prints.

I contact print with a very heavy piece of large tempered glass back onto Ilford warm-tone paper that I will slightly selenium tone.

The images that are on the site right now are the negatives that have been re-photographed and then inverted digitally. They are *not* positive GSP's...but they will be in the future.

The HP5+ I am processing in Sprint as well, using a JOBO. I will push and pull accordingly, but am really pushing a lot more to get proper contrast for the pt/pd process.

Printing is on Arches Platine using the Na2 method, printing with a 26-1K. Developing in Ammonium Citrate clearing with a very weak Sprint fixer-remover with a final wash for about 30 minutes in lightly running tap water in a tray.

I am photographing regularly, making 3 images last weekend and 3 images last night. I have a back-log of about 30-40 negatives that need to be processed.

Thanks again for the kind words. Feel free to ask questions as they arise.

My friend Ralph claims to have driven past a Bigfoot one night in Utah. It was sitting in the road on its haunches, and watched him as he drove past. He mentions its fur flapped about from the wind as he passed it.

About 5 or 6 years ago I was kayaking with friends on the California Salmon river, in northern California, Vaugh's country. My wife was a bit ahead of me, and at one point stopped for me to catch up. "Did you see that thing?" she asked. She said it was black and long, and went uphill away from the river very fast.

She's as much of a skeptic as anyone about things like this, maybe more so, but to this day she has never said anything like "It had to be a bear."

That aside, I enjoyed the blog and photos. Thanks!

Robert - please have Ralph get a hold of me. I would love to have a written account of his sighting, and another location to photograph for my project. It doesn't have to be a lengthy account, nor do I need an exact location. Sometimes when I have a 'loose' idea of where something happened it's more fun to find a good photograph.

h2oman - I would recommend you log onto bfro.net and report your experience. There is a lot to be gleaned from the most innocuous interaction. I would love to hear more from her as well.

Thanks for looking at my project people. It is the questions that are posed about this project that make it intriguing.
    Last edited by Kimberly Anderson; 5-Mar-2010 at 20:28. Reason: i am sloppy...

Updated...more new images.

Utah Bigfoot

I am presenting this work on Saturday to a group of photographers here in Utah. It will be fun as this will be the first 'official' presentation of this project. I'm excited to see what kind of feedback I get.