Thread: 'Splain me this

'Splain me this

http://www.govdeals.com/eas/itmDispl...=52&acctID=970

What could they possibly be bidding on?

Tailboard camera (5x7?) with tripod in unknown condition?

Film holders (5x7?)?

Mystery lens in blue-faced Rapax? Yes, I know, f/5.6 Pro Raptars were mounted in blue-faced Rapax shutters but so were other lenses.

The whole shebang?

I just don't see the appeal.

Re: 'Splain me this

Dan,

The bids at $160 and there are 6 fairly late 5x7 film holders, a fairly late lens of some kind (pot luck though). The fourth pic seems to show a red Linhof-type knob maybe on a tripod head.

That's about all I can think of.

Cheers, Steve

Did you see the starting bid for the Beseler 4x5 enlarger? $1,500! That's more than it cost new.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

An 8x10 studio camera with lens, tripod and a bunch of 5x7 holders for $160 would be a pretty decent deal. The camera is fugly, but it would take a case of hammers to break it.

Could turn out to be a Pro Raptar, Dan. It looks to have the right lens cap.

But then, too, I've recently found two different Pro Raptar 210mm f/5.6's with water damage. Bought and sent one of 'em back to the lying seller. eBay spider found it again for me when he relisted it. Despite my thread here about that lens having severe fungus etching (the thread becoming the top Google hit for a week on that particular lens topic) it resold for about where this auction is now ... go figure.

But thanks for the heads-up.

Oh come on Dan! You're just mad because you wanted it. You know it's worth 5 times that much so jump in there and get that bad boy. Some of the blue Rapax lenses had a Burke and James concoction that was just a non achromatic meniscus (yes Virginia, a dime store looking glass). No one would argue that it wasn't soft focus. You might get lucky Dan. Y'know ya want it. Just bid already. For that money you could put it on a post out front and the mail man could put your bills inside!

yeah, bid it up big time, "we" have a lot of debt to pay off.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Um, Jimbo, I've had a 160 Pro Raptar for years, bought it as new old stock well before the craze began. And I have a couple of perfectly good 210s. No more of either where I bought mine, I checked when Andrew started to run the price up.

I understand that the better is the enemy of the good, but in my little universe the "better than good enough" is the enemy of the "better still."

Brian, the asking price for the enlarger is absurd. So are most of the high -- so far -- bids on that site.

Cheers,

Dan

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I'm pretty sure it's a 4x5 back on a 5x7 Rembrandt Portrait Camera. I used to use one as a copy camera back in the 1980's. It's probably worth $200-$300 with the lens, tripod, and film holders. Nothing exciting, at least to me...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I emailed and got them to look to see that it was indeed a 160mm Pro Raptar. It had been a police mug shot camera. Expect that shutter must have gotten quite a workout-- and they're not making more of those, cells would directly fit nothing else. The logistics of fetching the whole lot of stuff incl and shipping put me off, considering it looked it bit shabby.

I see today that it closed for $262.