Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Aren't There More 4x5 Reflex Cameras?

Re: Why Aren't There More 4x5 Reflex Cameras?

Quote Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
    have you heard of the vacuum 4x5 back?
    it was rumored to be a linhof product.
    This backs for the Aero Technika 45, one with manual film-transport the other with motorized transport, are for RF 5" x 50'. But the backs can used with a Master Technika 4x5" too.

Peter

Um, if you want to go up to 5x7, it seems that AP had some 5x7 Graflex-based Big Berthas to which they attached K-25 aerial camera magazines to make a 5x7 long lens SLR with motor drive. Read about 'em here: http://books.google.com/books?id=SiE...tha%22&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    As an inexperienced pro I then made the mistake of buying a Plaubel Makiflex (it shot a square 4x4 on 4x5 film). The camera is in fact the neatest and probably the latest big reflex ever made (I looked at them all) and a great joy to own, but I soon found it impractical and it never earned what I paid for it. Impractical, because losing visual contact with the subject when the mirror went up and then having to change the film-holder and re-cock the camera did not help in directing the subject. Another awkward feature was the double cable release.
    I have this camera, and I love it - mainly for the nice square 9x9cm negatives (with round corners!!)...
    A little slow to work with, but in my experience, worth it..

(gotta love those rounded corners....)

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    I have this camera, and I love it - mainly for the nice square 9x9cm negatives (with round corners!!)...
    A little slow to work with, but in my experience, worth it..
    I own one as well - but have no 9x9cm back for it, only 6x9 spring load and Millionfalz. What is the Plaubel catalogue number of your back?

Sevo

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    I own one as well - but have no 9x9cm back for it, only 6x9 spring load and Millionfalz. What is the Plaubel catalogue number of your back?

Sevo
    don't know about the serial number (gotta dig tha camera up first..) but in order to make those 9x9cm negs, you have to fit an adapter to use for 4x5 cassettes (and pol magazine..)

when using the 4x5 cassette, you will then get the square negativ.

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    don't know about the serial number (gotta dig tha camera up first..) but in order to make those 9x9cm negs, you have to fit an adapter to use for 4x5 cassettes (and pol magazine..)
    A regular adapter, or a Peco back? I always thought it must be one of the latter, as anything that goes on top would shift the image plane. So far I haven't been able to figure out which - Plaubel accessory lists sported what must have been the most telegraphic prose in the industry, and barely ever specified anything to more detail than "xxx/yyy Rückteil".

Sevo

A regular adapter, or a Peco back? I always thought it must be one of the latter, as anything that goes on top would shift the image plane. So far I haven't been able to figure out which - Plaubel accessory lists sported what must have been the most telegraphic prose in the industry, and barely ever specified anything to more detail than "xxx/yyy Rückteil".

Sevo
    I don't know what adapter it is, but here are some quick scans of the lot.
    The numbers on the back og the camera are (there are two)
    on top: 102SM
    on bottom: MX 2/01

Ah, that makes it MX 1/539 - a back, just like the slide-in and spring load backs. Well, none have ever registered as a sale anywhere on the net, so chances for finding one that is not already attached to a Makiflex may be very slim.

Ah, that makes it MX 1/539 - a back, just like the slide-in and spring load backs. Well, none have ever registered as a sale anywhere on the net, so chances for finding one that is not already attached to a Makiflex may be very slim.
    wow - I should hold on to it then....

you're proberly right, but look at this link.

If you look carefully at the image, it looks like there is an adapter with the set on sale..

Buy the lot, and sell the other stuff......

http://cgi.ebay.com/Makiflex-1098590...item25594b0d98