Thread: Newbie in north Dallas

Newbie in north Dallas

I've just picked up a Crown Graphic in decent condition and I'm ready to start learning the basics of large format photography. I've dabbled a bit in 35mm and recently picked up a Nikon D5000. I'm not a terribly experienced photographer, but between my new DSLR and the Crown Graphic, I think I'm set to learn how to do things right.

I'm in the Dallas area, Plano to be more precise. I understand that there are a pretty decent number of LF photographers around here. Are there any camera shops in the area that carry any LF gear or film?

My Crown Graphic needs a few minor repairs, but it's in working condition. The first surface mirror in the rangefinder is broken/missing, which should be an easy repair. There is also a pin missing in the joint of one of the rails, which will jam the focus if I'm not careful. I can work around it, but I haven't been able to figure out how to fix it yet.

I'm still looking for good deals on a few more bits of gear. I need a loupe and wouldn't mind finding a darkcloth and a changing bag. I'm on the lookout for an inexpensive lens with a bit better coverage than the 135mm Optar that's on my camera and I'm actively searching for a Polaroid 550 back.

Octogenarian

Re: Newbie in north Dallas

We have a small group of large format photographers here in the DFW metroplex that go out shooting on Sat. mornings.

One lives in Plano, two in Southlake, and I live in Frisco. Occasionally, a few others join us on our excursions.

Between the four of us, we have more than 100 years of photographic experience.

Last weekend, we went up to Dennison and photographed an old bridge that crosses over the Red River between TX and OK.

To answer your question, all of the camera shops in the DFW and FT.Worth areas now handle digital equipment, almost exclusively. You might be able to find 4X5 film at Arlington Camera, or Competitive Camera, but not cameras or equipment.

For new, or used, equipment familiarize yourself with Midwest (www.mpex.com). B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com), and KEH (www.keh.com) on the internet.

Contact me: gemsinger at att dot net . We can exchange phone numbers, and I can give you more information.

hacker extraordinaire

I understand that there are a pretty decent number of LF photographers around here. Are there any camera shops in the area that carry any LF gear or film?
    The Film Depot on 75/Arapaho has a token amount of sheet film and film holders, and some Fuji instant film. I order all my stuff from Freestyle, however.

Octogenarian

Freestyle (www.freestylephoto.biz), in Calif. is a good place to purchase supplies, but they do not handle used equipment and have a limited stock of new equipment

Welcome to group therepy! First thing I'd do is to get togeather with some of the LF shooters around Dallas and get them to look over your Crown; since I don't have a Crown to look at I can't make any recommendations on the pin other than to obtain some pin stock from a hardware retailer and replace it, but others more familiar with the Crown than I may suggest a quick fix. The mirrors in the rangefinder are a little more difficult to deal with since they have to be an exact thickness and set in place perfectly to work correctly...you might want someone experienced to help you with that.

But, the broken rangefinder gives you the perfect opportunity to learn the wonders of the groundglass! Run to the nearest office supply store and pick up a cheap loupe for the time being...you can replace it with a better one after looking at other folks' choices for awhile...and pick up a 36" square of thick black cloth at the local discount store for a dark cloth; now you're ready to pop off the flip-open cover on your ground glass (so you can get to the glass with the loupe) and start learning to focus the right way! You're gonna have a lot of fun!! To start with, use your DSLR for a meter and, again, look at what the others are using to get an idea of what kind of meter you want. Crown's aren't heavy...use the tripod you use with your DSLR until you see if you need a heavier one.

Have fun!

Thanks for the information. I think I'll swing down to film depot at lunch or after work to see what I can find. My film holders are pretty dusty (as is the camera, on the outside at least), so I need to give everything a thorough cleaning before shooting anything, but I want to have some film handy to play with. I'd really like to play with some of the instant film to learn with, but I have to find a pack holder.

As for the rangefinder, there's a nice writeup on graflex.org on repairing it. It sounds easy enough, but could go either way. To be honest, I think I'm better off learning to focus the old fashioned way. I intend to learn a bit about landscape photography and the basic movements on the camera before a trip to the Grand Canyon in August. I assume the rangefinder is nearly useless once you start tilting the lens.

The tripod that I have is my dad's old aluminum beast. The thing is big and heavy, but it works. I may be in the market for a new tripod soon, but I've already blown my hobby budget for a while buying two cameras.

Welcome! I would definitely take up the offer of meeting Gem and the others on a shoot get-together. They are a great group.

The nice people at Film Depot hooked me up with a Polaroid 550 for a good price, so if I can get some of the Fuji instant film this week I'll be set to start shooting this weekend. Alas, the only film they had in stock was the stuff that fits in the 405 holder.

Welcome to large format in Texas!

By all means meet up with the locals. I caught up with them once last fall for breakfast. Lots of knowledge there is an understatement!

There are several local camera clubs but like most of the shops are mostly digital now. However, this last week the Fort Worth CC had JB Harlin out for an ultra large format program. JB put on a great show and he even brought the 8x20 camera he built.

If you or anyone ever makes it over to Cowtown, drop me a line. Myself and 1-2 other 4x5 guys do like to get out here.

-Darren
    My Arca-Swiss Camera Blog- The Large Format Camera Blog

My website-WildernessPhotographer