Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MF Digital back on 4x5 - inexpensive view camera options?

MF Digital back on 4x5 - inexpensive view camera options?

I've got a P30 back for my Hasselblad 501 that I've been thinking about using on a 4x5 so that I can have more control over perspective, etc. I've got a couple of crown graphics and an old Zone VI Wista, along with a few Schneider lenses, but a field/press camera isn't going to work. Although, if someone made a graflox MFDB adapter, I'd think that was cool (though, not really necessary).

I've done some research, and I can see that a sliding back is $$$, along with newer cameras designed to take a DB directly.

So, I'm thinking of getting a sliding back, and finding a camera that will work that but not cost $3-4k.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Re: MF Digital back on 4x5 - inexpensive view camera options?

You might want to read Joseph Holmes' article on digital medium format accuracy. The required tolerances are so small that you need a really good camera, which isn't likely to come cheap.

Yup, I've read that article. It's definitely telling a fairly negative story. My output goals are a little bit different, and I've thought about this - I'm okay with the possible downside of a MF back on a LF camera.

What about a Fuji GX680? The front has movements & I think adapters are available for digital backs.

I think for your budget you are going to have to look at a used Sinar/Cambo/studio monorail type camera and get a used sliding back for it like the one Phase One made. You also need some very short lenses like a 47-58mm.

try the crown graphic, it may just work but I've gotten very good results with my zone VI. probably the best is an old Linhof Master Technica (stay away from the Technicardan!!!) or if you can go monorail the Arca Swiss can sometimes be had in an older version on the cheap...
    there's an ongoing discussion at the yahoo Betterlight group right now... that I could summarize.

New Orleans, LA

We use a Leaf back on a Sinar P2 and have an adapter from Kapture Group. I think they make a graflock adapter. Check out the very bottom of this page:

http://www.kapturegroup.com/sinar/sinar.html

Quote Originally Posted by williamtheis View Post
    try the crown graphic, it may just work but I've gotten very good results with my zone VI. probably the best is an old Linhof Master Technica (stay away from the Technicardan!!!) or if you can go monorail the Arca Swiss can sometimes be had in an older version on the cheap...
    there's an ongoing discussion at the yahoo Betterlight group right now... that I could summarize.
    Hi William,
    I do own the technikardan and I'm interested in getting a v adapter for it, Why is that you strongly argue against the TK solution ?
    Dimitris Chalkiadakis

Quote Originally Posted by R Mann View Post
    What about a Fuji GX680? The front has movements & I think adapters are available for digital backs.
    As I was researching possible options, I came across the GX680. I had completely forgotten about this camera, and yes, it's definitely an interesting possibility, but I know next to nothing about it. I'll have to do more research.