Thread: 6x9 view camera for macro?

6x9 view camera for macro?

Could I get suggestions for a reasonably compact 6X7 view camera/lens combo that would be used mostly in the field (no long treks)for macro work. Quality and ea se of use would take priority over price. Thanks

arca F line 69 metric with digital lens if you are certain to stick to roll film, i was suppose to buy it, at the last moment i find a second hand technikardan 45 S, i will use it most of time with a 6x7 back, but i can always switch to 4x5. if weight and size are not a problem, (no long treks) you can also use a 4x5 from sinar (F2 not F), arca F line Metric 45. For macro work yoy should buy very good modern lens, otherwise you should stick to 35mm

I don't know of any view camera that folds up more compactly than the Galvin 2x3 ... mine actually took up less room than the Bronica SQ-Ai that I also owned. If you can get by with less than 240mm of bellows extension and don't mind using non-geared movements, this is probably the best compromise between weight (under 3lbs), size and performance around. Although they're no longer available new, finding a good one shouldn't be too difficult (they do show up on eBay relatively often) and best of all, they're still quite inexpensive, as these things go.

As an alternative, perhaps a Hasselblad flexbody? Only 6x6 though.

The Silvestri range of perspective control cameras are able to take enlarger lenses combined with their bellows units for macro work. Although they are mainly designed for wide angle architecture/landscape work.

Arca Swiss, Calumet SF, Cambo (great 6x9 if you can find it) Horseman, Galvin ( quality in that order) probably is not solid enough to handle extended bellows- all right for ormal shooting though. Toyo g 2x3 is nice but big as a 4x5. Any lens between 125-180 (depends on camera draw and desired image size. Lens designed for macro use (nikon etc. work best but not for normal shots)

Outside of a big heavy monorail complete with with extention bellows and two support points , the best view camera I've used for macro work is the Canham DLC. For up to a 1:1 reproduction ratio (at least) on 4x5 with a 240mm it can't be beat, except with something like a big Linhof, Arca, Sinar (P, C or X cameras-- not the F series), or Horseman, etc. monorail. Approximately 540mm of rail and bellows is built into the design. Very stable, very good (bright and contrasty) groundglass/fresnel combination.