Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: f32 for portraits?

f32 for portraits?

Hello,
    I will be photographing some tight faces on 4x5 using a Fujinon-W 180mm 5.6. I'm using a ring light and want to get the catchlight in the eye as large as possible.
    I did a test at f22 and noticed a real razor sharp shallow DOF (maybe its just my focus is off?). All I want is the nose, eyes, and until before the ear starts in focus. And I couldnt achieve this with f22.
    I am considering stopping down to f32 but am wondering if diffraction will start to play a factor in losing sharpness? I intend to make quite large prints out of this. Unfortunately where Im at now its impossible to make more tests.
    Any advice would be great and thanks in advance!
    B

neophyte

Re: f32 for portraits?

DOF is related to aperture, focal length, acceptable sharpness (quantified as the circle of confusion which is bigger the bigger the filmsize) and distance to subject.

For your case you have a biggish piece of film, you have a smallish aperture so despite your longish lens your DOF would be fine at greater distance.....the tight in bit is what is giving you the tiny DOF.

For some quantitation look at eg http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html.

Thanks Brian,
    I think I was more wondering how the falloff in quality would be from f22 to f32 with the Fujinon-W 180mm 5.6?

I doubt there will be any falloff in quality. You will probably get a better shot and won't notice the difference in diffraction. Diffraction is not a huge problem at f/32

I agree f/32 should be fine for your purposes. It would be like using f/11 on a 35mm camera.

"I did a test at f22"

Can you make another test, at f/32 ? There's probably no need to make a print. Just look with a loupe, and see if you can tell the difference between the negatives at f/22 and f/32.

The difference will probably be so slight, that even if you can see it with a loupe, the rest of the process will render it negligible.

"I intend to make quite large prints out of this."

Your idea of large, may differ from others' idea. How large do you mean ?

Brent, I do not think that F32 will give you significant diffraction. What sort/brand/power level of ring flash are using?

joseph

How large is 'quite large'?

That will determine everything.

DOF is determined by enlargement, as well as some of the other factors mentioned above.
    Plus, if you're getting very close, on 4x5, then you could be talking about an effective aperture of f/45, if you set your lens to f/32.
    (I know, I got it wrong on another forum recently ...)

DOF and diffraction limitations will become more apparent the larger you go-
    using a smaller original at high resolution might be a better option...

It really depends on your definition of 'quite large', I think-

The difference between F:22 and F:32 will not be as significant as you might expect, either in sharpness or DOF. A change in DOF might be better handled with lens and distance changing, rather than one F stop adjustment.

Nothing like a test run. I always learn more than I thought I would when I do a dry run first.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Hi and thanks to everyone who responded.
    I'm actually unable to make another test, in SE Asia and moving around at the moment
    I'm using a profoto ring light and taking the shots about 2 to 2.5 feet from the subject.
    I would like to make prints around 50 or 60 inches on the long side if possible
    I cant attach the test I shot and scanned since its too large, but depth of field at f22 is very shallow, eyes sharp, forehead soft, I guess I will give it a go at f32 and cross my fingers!