Thread: Wildflowers in Texas

Wildflowers in Texas

I will be travelling to the Houston-Austin TX area this spring and would like to spend a couple of days with the spring wildflowers. I have some flexibility in travel dates, so I would like to know both the best times and locations in TX fo r shooting the flowers. Any suggetions? Thanks.

Wildflowers in Texas

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/park/wildflower/plainsflo.htm

April May is best.

Neal

Wildflowers in Texas

see http:/www.englander-workshops.com/, Joe Englander conducts a Texas wildflowers photo wokshop. Highly recommended.

Wildflowers in Texas

Statistically, mid April is peak. Depending on winter rain and temperatures, it can be earlier, last week of March and early April. May is too late and too hot.

Best areas are west of Austin, in the Llano-Johnson City area, Inks Lake and west of Lake LBJ.

Wildflowers in Texas

What are the chances of combining a trip to Fotofest and seeing the wildflowers? (And not finding myself in the middle of a tornado, or flash floods, etc. I wanted to go last year, but the weather reports seemed to be one disaster after another.) TIA -- Wilhelm

Wildflowers in Texas

I've always found Fredericksburg and areas around the Frio River to be great locations.

Wildflowers in Texas

"Everything in Texas either bites, stings, or kicks". LBJ said "the Viet Nam war was like a west Texas hail storm, he didn't start it, he couldn't stop it, and there was no place to hide". Tornados are very selective. If you don't live in a trailer park or have done something lately to envoke the wrath of God, you are usually OK. It all boils down to how bad you want the picture. Predicting Texas weather is an exercise in futility.

Neal

Wildflowers in Texas

Fotofest is in March and most of the wildflowers (that people want to see) are blooming in April and May, especially in the Houston and Austin latitudes.

Wildflowers in Texas

Thanks for the advice especially about the tornados and hailstorms - LBJ was such a font of wisdom!

Any advice on state/nationalparks or other public locations in the Houston-Austin area for shooting?