Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Someone please explain this...

Re: Someone please explain this...

Yet another one. Is this a new standard for the Xeontar 150mm 2.8? Granted they are pristine and already in a shutter (not to mention Linhof select) but I've bought a lot of cars for less than what these lenses are going for. Maybe Songyun is right, maybe Schneider should make a new production run.

I will bet an espresso the buyer hit "launch dispute" within seconds of winning to retract the bid and enter 3898.80 in place of 38,988.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Dunn View Post

There are 1426 Italian Lira in 1 US Dollar. Perhaps these auctions have actually been in Lira.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    There are 1426 Italian Lira in 1 US Dollar. Perhaps these auctions have actually been in Lira.
    except of the (sad) fact, that Italy uses Euro......

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    except of the (sad) fact, that Italy uses Euro......
    and cursing the damn Euro almost every day too!

Wow, just freaking phenomenal.

It is hard for most of working stiffs to understand $39K for a lens because that is a significant part of our annual income. When I was a kid my wife and I worked part time as a gardener for some very wealthy people in exchange for free rent and utilities in Woodstock, Vermont. We became very good friends with the family. Mrs. Albrigh's sister was Patricia Guggenhiem who built the Guggenhiem Museum in New York city. Their residential art collection was appraised at $300 million, and I would help them change the art every month through out the main house. I have had Rembrandts, Remingtons, Picassos, Toulouse Lautrecs, artifact from Easter Island, and anything else you can think of in my arms at one time or another.

I would go to auctions with them where they would drop $50K without thinking twice all in a days shopping and that was 35 years ago. If you bumped into these people on the street you would never know that they were wealthy people. They talked and walked just like us working stiffs, drove a VW Rabbit, and bought a hot air balloon and got their hot air balloon license when they were in their 70's. $39K to them is just pocket money, and if they screwed up and over bid on ebay, well no big deal life goes on.

Could it have been used by a famous photog? Maybe someone knew of an archive that had a receipt with a serial number and the famous photographers name on it? Not sure that would make the value that high even then but it's a theory.

it looks like the second bidder is legit, doesn't looks like a shill bidder.

Stephen,

As I joke about buyer's remorse and bid retraction, you bring up a good point.

Guy Laliberte paid 35 million for a 10 day holiday on a Russian space mission.
    Maybe this lens will bring a great deal of pleasure to someone who will notice the nice prints much more than he will notice the spent 38k !

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post
    It is hard for most of working stiffs to understand $39K for a lens because that is a significant part of our annual income. When I was a kid my wife and I worked part time as a gardener for some very wealthy people in exchange for free rent and utilities in Woodstock, Vermont. We became very good friends with the family. Mrs. Albrigh's sister was Patricia Guggenhiem who built the Guggenhiem Museum in New York city. Their residential art collection was appraised at $300 million, and I would help them change the art every month through out the main house. I have had Rembrandts, Remingtons, Picassos, Toulouse Lautrecs, artifact from Easter Island, and anything else you can think of in my arms at one time or another.

I would go to auctions with them where they would drop $50K without thinking twice all in a days shopping and that was 35 years ago. If you bumped into these people on the street you would never know that they were wealthy people. They talked and walked just like us working stiffs, drove a VW Rabbit, and bought a hot air balloon and got their hot air balloon license when they were in their 70's. $39K to them is just pocket money, and if they screwed up and over bid on ebay, well no big deal life goes on.