Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Current ink Baryta paper favorites?

Current ink Baryta paper favorites?

A while back I settled on Innova F-Type Gloss Black Max and bought a quantity of it. I love the deep rich D-max I can get and the paper base color, but am mediocre about the surface which is just ok. When I need to print larger than 16x20 I work with a local art printer who uses Ilford Gold Fiber Silk (haven't used it in a year-has it changed). I love the D-max and the surface on this paper, but dislike the slightly grey paper base. I mat with a 1" window and the faint grey border I dislike.

Any way I am running out of the Innova and am in the market for a new paper. What are people liking and why?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Octogenarian

Re: Current ink Baryta paper favorites?

Since you like the baryta coating, try the Harman FB Mp Matt Professional Inkjet paper.

Or, if you prefer, Harman also makes a glossy surface version.

Both are excellent papers, IMHO.

Dittoes on the Harmon Gloss. There is a good pick up of detail that is noticable compared to Epson paper.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I don't monkey around w papers or print large but I really like the Harman Gloss FB AI, I tried it and was happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Since you like the baryta coating, try the Harman FB Mp Matt Professional Inkjet paper.

Or, if you prefer, Harman also makes a glossy surface version.

Both are excellent papers, IMHO.
    I also print on mat papers. It depends on the image and show etc. So called Baryta inkjet papers were evolving rapidly when I bought my Innova inventory-hence, now that I am almost out of it, why I am looking to test where these papers have evolved to.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Glenn Mellen

Kirk,

I use Harman Gloss FB, Ilford Gold Fibre Silk, and also Hahnemuhle PhotoRag Baryta. Preference for cold tones goes to the Harman offering (altho' there's not much difference between it and Ilford). The Hahnemuhle provides a warmer rendition than the other two.

These papers aren't showing much if any bronzing with Epson 7600 or Canon iPF5000 printers.

Another favorite of mine is Hahnemuhle Pearl, but it does show bronzing on B&W's... however the bronzing cannot be seen when mounted behind TrueView UV glass.

Octogenarian

Kirk,

Seems like the baryta coated papers have come a long way.

Bob, Glenn, and myself, here in Dallas, have tested several brands of baryta inkjet papers, including various surface finishes and weights.

We have access to HP, Canon, and Epson printers and the three brands of inks.

The Harman baryta papers seem to work very well with both the HP, Canon, and Epson inks, using the proper profiles.

The Ilford Gold Silk baryta paper has a tendency to bronze with the HP Vivera ink but not with the Epson or Canon inks.

The HP Photo Black ink showed the best DMax with every type of paper we tested.

Bob McCarthy can give you more detailed info. However, his internet access is down at the present time.

Harmon gloss FB, hands down, if you want a smooth paper with no bronzing - I used the Innova until I got the Harmon, then I did not even bother to use up the remaining sheets of Innova, the Harmon is that much better. There is now a warm tone paper version as well, which only looks warm next to a cold white paper. Very nice stuff for a lot of images.

Thanks all. Seems like the common recomendation is the Harmon.

Ed, I have 0 bronzing and no gloss differential on the Innova. These are two problems I forgot still existed. But it is good to hear peoples experience with the new papers and the M problem. I think I will buy a pack of the Harmon and give it a try. After reading people's recommendations here, I went on the web to see what else was available about the Harmon. Here is an interesting article by a printer I respect. Amongst other high points he measures the Harmon as having a greater d-max and dynamic range than silver. Impressive.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...Surface2.shtml
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 12-Oct-2009 at 20:45.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Kirt for black and white, Harmon wins the dmax prize going away with the baryta glossy. Others are very competitive when your speaking color prints. I really like the ilford Gallerie silk. We been testing papers here for the past 6 months. RIPs rule is the mantra. Btw the Harmon matte paper has a nice hand but I find the surface ordinary. I still like the prints I see on German Etching.

Bob