Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beautiful Images... What Scanning Method ?

Beautiful Images... What Scanning Method ?

There are so many technically (and aesthetically) beautiful images being shown here.

Could a few (or many) of you share your scanning "workflow", and perhaps attach the image? Are you darkroom printing and then scanning a print? Or are you scanning negatives?

If you are scanning negatives are you using consumer scanners (under $1000) or big iron? Scanning film in factory holders, or wet mounting?

I am struggling to get 4x5 images to be any better than digital images from a good DSLR. My Microtek M1, which I never had much luck with, just died, and I don't want to replace it with something equally bad. Certainly my Nikon Coolscan V film scanner crushes the Mircotek.

I know a lot of people use the Epson V750. Do you wet mount? Use Better Scanning Anti Newton ring Frames? Or just the Epson holders?

I know this question seems to be technical, but I am actually interested in what scanning is being used for these aesthetically compelling images, not test paterns... so I post the question here.

Re: Beautiful Images... What Scanning Method ?

I scan the negative on an Epson 4990 which I bought as a refurb last week, but I'm not sure my images are aesthetically compelling. The factory holders are sufficient for now without wet mounting and my images are newton ring free.

Certainly a drum scanned negative could be better, but at web sizes like you see here (a few hundred pixels on a side) I doubt that one could tell the difference.

And how do you print? Darkroom, or from your scans?

i scan on an Epson V700 which I find to be suitable for 120 film and larger. I have a Better Scanning holder with ANR glass for medium format negs, and the images scan beautifully, better than the OEM Epson holders.

For 4x5 (I've only just started shooting 4x5) I find that the V700 does just as nicely, though I am using the OEM holders (at least for now) all dry mounted.

For prints (expecially large prints) B&W will all be wet prints, I'll pass the digital scans (often retouched) out for lab printing (though my colour to B&W ratio is 95% B&W and 5% colour, maybe even less).

The Rookie

I've been using the V750. It gave me a little trouble for a while but then I learned that you should use the multi-pass scan and TURN OFF THE SHARPENING. Now I can print my 11x14 prints from my 4X5 and you can take a magnifying glass to the detail.

I have a wet-mount glass and I tried it when I first got the scanner. It seemed to improve things. I didn't want to use it on a negative that really mattered to me because I don't know if the Naptha ruins the emulsion or not.

I've heard that a drum scan is still superior but I've never spent the $ to try it.

I hope that helps.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

I have and am very happy with the V750. As Craig said: MF and larger work great. For 4x5 (especially Kodak, as Ilford appears to use a thinner base), I find the negative holders are fine. I do use the betterscanning ANR MF adjustable holder for 6x7.

I had trouble with color correcting negative film, but find that positives scan fine and need very little work.

For 8x10, I use a plate of ANR glass to hold the negative flat on the surface.

Honestly, I have no idea if a drum scan is worth it, but I will not be buying a scanner.

Do be sure to turn the sharpening off.

Printing: I print (or attempt to) B&W 35 and 120 via enlarger and 8x10 via contact. 4x5 is contact printed, but not for any purpose. I might buy a larger enlarger at some point. Color is printed digitally, but I can't seem to find a commercial site that does a good job with B&W, even with dedicated black photo printers.

I scan on a 4990 with the stock holders, though I plan to replace those with the betterscanning ANR holder in the near future. I feel this is enough for a solid 16X20 print, and I could feel comfortable with a 24X30 from this if needed from this hardware.

But I think the scanning hardware is somewhat secondary to understanding the software that controls the scanner.

I used silverfast Ai initially with my 4990, but I eventually switched to EpsonScan. If I were scanning for someone else and profiled color were important, I'd reconsider Silverfast, but I scan for myself and I want pleasing color for my tastes. EpsonScan gives me that control and I feel that it produces better scans from color negative films.

With either option, I still feel it is important to finish the work in photoshop and have an understanding of the color control tools, curve in the individual color channels and selective color.

I rarely use B&W, but feel the 4990 produces adequate scans there as well.

BTW, I also scan with a Nikon Coolscan LS-4000 and feel it crushes the 4990 as well, but it obviously can't scan the larger formats.

Also, regarding software - I use VueScan and find it to be the best software option available of those that I have tried (once you get used to using it).

Epson does NOT make film holders for their scanners...

They package some pieces of black plastic that one can waste hours on trying to use as film holders. They are not.

Consulting the pineal gland

The only reason I am using epson holders is because I was cheap and bought the 4490 (MF and 35mm) and so I have to stitch anyway and am not sinking money into it. At what I spent I am willing to monkey around with the tricks I need to get the best I can out of it. Sometimes this involves a lot of cursing-

It might surprise people, but I consider scanning my 6x12 and 35mm to be a bigger pain than my 4x5 which I do on little nylon disks that work better (and focus better) than the epson holders- those are a joke and most of the cursing is at them and the included scanning software.