Thread: B&J 8x10 and 4 year old

B&J 8x10 and 4 year old

I finally got everything together for the nice B&J 8x10 field camera I got on here. I got a good deal on a 300 5.6 symmar-S/copal 3 and had a guy at work build me a couple new birch plywood blank lensboards. I drilled and finished a lensboard myself.

Visually tested it out in my living room. My 4 year old daughter was fascinated and of course remarked the image was upside down. She thinks its pretty cool to watch the Olympics upside down on my camera. I told her the picture it makes will be upside down, but we'll flip the finished picture so it will be right side up. She successfully digests that plan.

Then she suggests I could flip the camera upside down to make the picture right.

I had to tell her the picture will still be upside down, sort of always upside down, but it was a good idea just the same. I don't expect a 4 yo to understand that sort of physics yet, but her problem solving skills are getting honed pretty sharp!

Re: B&J 8x10 and 4 year old

great one.

i guess i think like 4 year old cause i always tell people all you have to do is turn over the camera.....when they enlighten me that my image on the ground glass is upside down....
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Most 4 year olds are light enough that you can just flip them upside down.

I see in black and white.

My daughter is fascinated as well. She loves the Speed Graphic. I'm going to have to keep her away from the front of the Burke & James, though, if I'm going to have a heavy lens on it.

She's 2. Now, if only I could get her to sit still for the few seconds required to take her photo with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    My daughter is fascinated as well. She loves the Speed Graphic. I'm going to have to keep her away from the front of the Burke & James, though, if I'm going to have a heavy lens on it.

She's 2. Now, if only I could get her to sit still for the few seconds required to take her photo with it.
    Kids have always been fascinated with cameras. I'm not sure if they are attracted by the shiny lens or the noises that come out of the camera. It sounds like your little daughter is quite a handful. Probably the easiest way to photograph a small child is with a digital camera. I know it makes it easier to photograph my cat, and I'm sure that she is not as cooperative as your daughter.