Thread: Large Backpack for Agfa 8x10

Large Backpack for Agfa 8x10

I'm looking for a backpack recommendation for my heavy Agfa 8x10 Commercial View. Dimensions are 11.25" wide x 14.75" tall x 7" deep. I'm not looking to backpack with it, but I need to find a pack that is padded that I can wear on my back for short distances. I'm currently carrying the camera in a tote.

Sorry about the double post!

Joel Edmondson

Re: Large Backpack for Agfa 8x10

Laura, one of the LowePro models, don't recall the actual designation, always worked well for me. There wasn't enough room for film holders but everything else fit well enough. I later acquired one of the f64 back-packs and hated it. It was much larger but still couldn't handle camera and film holders. If I can find the designation on the LowePro I'll PM it.

One thing you can do is take your camera and holders to REI/local backpacking outfitter and try out how different backpacks to see how well they fit you and your equipment.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Laura_Campbell View Post
    Sorry about the double post!
    If you can find a pack that takes 2

More seriously I'm watching this thread with interest I have 2 10x8 Agfa Ansco's and need a better way to carry mine, at the moment like you I carry by hand.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    One thing you can do is take your camera and holders to REI/local backpacking outfitter and try out how different backpacks to see how well they fit you and your equipment.

Jon
    This is what I did -- it is really a great way to go about it. I just got lucky that the right pack for the right price was at a local outdoor store. I looked at the packs, then brought in my camera.

Having the proper protection for the 8x10 holders is very important. A few broken darkslides can be very annoying.

Vaughn

Take a look at www.photobackpacker.com,

or try F/64 back packs http://www.f64camerabag.com/backpacks.html

I have both but love the photo backpacker model.

I have a large and a small F64 backpack, but neither is deep enough for my Ansco 5x7 (similar style, I think.) Currently I put it in a regular school canvas pack that is lightweight, and this can be strapped to a lightweight aluminum pack frame which is comfy and also lightweight. The hardest part is getting the pack on and off—time for some yoga.

As for my 8x10 film holders, I carry them in a computer laptop case.

The Ansco is bulky, but it sure is nice once it sits on top of the tripod. And it sets up fast.

Another option is something like a Lightware case: http://www.lightwareinc.com/site/ind...xtras&Cat_ID=4

It might do the trick with a slight bulge in the center.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Consulting the pineal gland

You might consider an external frame pack and a separate case attaching to it. I've heard of the current military surplus ones suggested for other large heavy cameras, and they are often used for other strange loads like radio gear. I'm planning to choose an 8x10 with its backpackability in mind, but I also want something larger (and homebrewed?) in the future and will carry that on a pack-frame.

Internal frame packs are nice, especially for long distances (I've hiked from Georgia to Maine), but sometimes they aren't the right tool for the job. If you get an internal frame pack you probably want it front loading, rather than top loading which I find more difficult with bulky items.

I just checked the photobackpacker site and looks to me that aal their models and camera cases are designed for folding cameras. Now I have a rigid mode based om a 50 cm (20 inch) rail. I would like to have the camera fixed on the rail even when it's in the backpack. Beside the camera there is a geared head and 3 lenses with 6x6 boards, a compendium and a seeker. Those last two I can leave at home.

Anyone having a suggestion on that.