Thread: wide angle lenses

wide angle lenses

This board is a godsend for newbies like me. I am assembling my basic lens pack age for 4x5. I already have a 150 and 240. I plan on getting a 450 this summer . In the mean time I am looking to get a wide angle lens. I have heard great t hings about the Nikkor 90mm f8 and found the wonderful test results on Kerry Tha lman's site. I am also interested in the Super Symmar 80xl for its large aperat ure and light weight. However, I saw some mixed reviews and results of this len s posted a while back. Has anyone been using this lens (80xl)recently that can add their comments on its performance? Have the more recent production runs had better quality.

I am generally impressed by the color rendition of schneider lenses based on my experience with my Linhof 617 and Silvestri systems. Thanks for your help

wide angle lenses

I've been playing with my new SS 80XL for about two months now. No problems focusing at 4.5 and painfully sharp at f22.

wide angle lenses

What are you planning on photographing? Is it landscape, architecture, etc?

If you're going to get a wide-angle, and are interested in the Super-Symmar XL's, why not get the 110mm. I've heard great things about this lens. It's a matter of personal preference, but for landscape, I much prefer a moderate wide-angle. For me, the 90mm is a special purpose lens.

However, for architecture, the 90mm is the mainstream lens to own, followed by a 75mm and the 120mm (or 110mm).