Thread: Ries H600 wooden tripod construction

Ries H600 wooden tripod construction

I have posted this query also in another forum, so apologies if you see it twice!

I am interested in seeing how the Ries "backpacker" model tripods (eg H600, J600) are put together. Maybe it's just me, but I am having trouble finding photos of these online, and I have never seen one in the flesh. The Ries website seems a little primitive in this respect...
    Judging by their specs, it sounds like these tripods are effectively 3-segment.
    Can anybody shed any light on this for me or, even better, post a photo or two?

Many thanks
    Ian

Re: Ries H600 wooden tripod construction

The leg inserts are in two equal length parts - they screw together - the main upper tripod legs are a little shorter than the standard ones - you can also use a regular length leg (or make one from a dowel). Hardware is the same.

Thanks for the info.
    So, when the tripod is being carried, does this mean that the unscrewed leg sections are loose in the carry bag?

Yes, if you want it compact - otherwise, its like any other tripod. The Ries bag has pockets to slip the leg sections in so they don't rattle around. But, I think if I were going to get a Ries - I would get the regular model and live with its length. I have owned both, and don't see much advantage to the two section legs unless you were trying to fit it into luggage for airline travel.

OK - thanks very much for your thoughts.