Thread: Photo Opportunity in the San Joaquin Valley on Saturday, February 27

Photo Opportunity in the San Joaquin Valley on Saturday, February 27

I visited the Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park this past Saturday and decided that I wanted to create a collection of photos for the non-profit organization that supports the park. Information on the park can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel..._Historic_Park. It is located in the San Joaquin Valley, about 45 minutes north of Bakersfield. I don’t think that it is a stretch to draw parallels between this location and Bodie

On Saturday, February 27, I will be traveling to Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park to make images with the goal of donating the photos to the Friends support group. I have sent a similar invitation to members of my local camera club, and have already had about 5 members enthusiastically agree to join me. It would be great if other large format shooters might want to join me for this one day project. My thinking is that if we are able gather together enough quality photos we could prepare a book that can be sold by the non-profit Friends support group at the park. Naturally the maker of each image used in a book would be credited for their photo.

The February 27 date was selected because virtually all of the buildings in the park will be open, and can be photographed that day. I was there this past Saturday and found the docents in each of the restored buildings to not only be very well informed about the history of the park generally, but also well informed about the building for which they were leading tours. I recall that some of the docents were descendants of the inhabitants of the houses they were showing. Significantly, they allow photos to be taken inside, as long as camera flash is not used. I had no problem setting up my tripod and 4x5 camera in the various buildings.

As we all see the world differently, I am confident that we could come up with photos from many different perspectives, e.g., exteriors, interiors, more intimate photos of items in rooms, etc. I find the interiors of the buildings to be appealing, but others might want to photograph the exteriors, or smaller portions of the interiors than what I photographed on Saturday.

I can assure anyone who might be interested in joining me on Saturday, February 27, that there are all sorts of photographic opportunities at Allensworth State Historic Park, and that each photographer will likely return with photos that s/he can be proud to have made.

Please contact me if you are interested in photographing Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park on February 27.

Rick Russell
    richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

Re: Photo Opportunity in the San Joaquin Valley on Saturday, February 27

Hi Rick, I would love to meet you there. As it gets closer, I will PM you if I can make it. I live in the Kern River Valley. Cheers, JR

Thanks for mentioning this town. I live pretty close by.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I'll gladly try to make the trip! Sounds like a great photo opp.

I'll know better next week but I should be able to make it. I'll shoot you a PM later this week.

-J

Rick,

I just paid a visit to the California Parks web site and found this:

"Due to department budget cuts and service reductions, Colonel Allensworth SHP is closed Monday thru Thursday to all vehicular traffic until June 30th 2010. The park is still open 10:00 am to 4:00 pm for visitors entering by foot at the gate, but no restrooms, trash or water service will be available."

Is this going to be a problem - the later part in particular?

Our group will be at the park on Saturday, February 27. Not only will the park be open, but most, if not all of the buildings will be open. Based on my discussions with the park rangers and docents last Saturday, as well as my having taken photos in 3 of the buildings, photography is allowed. I expect to be there from about 10:00 a.m. until approximately 4:00 p.m.

Rick Russell
    richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

Looks like a good chance for rain on Saturday. I should be able to make the trip. Hopefully, the weather forecast will change and we'll have clear skies instead.