Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EBay Comes Through for Buyer

EBay Comes Through for Buyer

There's been a fair amount of discussion regarding EBay and their practices. I thought that I would offer my own recent experience.

I purchased a pair of 240mm G-Claron lens cells from an EBay seller. I've been interested in doing some 8x10 close ups, and with a stop correction, I could use my 180mm Symmar-S Copal shutter. The rear cell was disclosed to have a 1 cm scratch, but I didn't see this as a problem for the type of work I had in mind. The seller had over 800 feedback with a high percentage of Positive responses.

Receiving the cells, I discovered that both cells had undisclosed dents on the rims. Further, I paid for USPS Priority Shipping promised in the listing but received the cells in a poorly wrapped 1st class, large envelope with about $3 postage attached. Given the serious issue of dents and their implications, I decided that I didn't want these cells. I contacted the seller and requested a full refund to include all shipping. Had the dents been disclosed, I wouldn't have bid.

The seller did not want to pay any shipping, so I filed a claim with EBay, sent photos and scans, etc., etc. EBay found in my favor and eventually reimbursed me the full amount plus the seller's advertised shipping costs. In addition, they sent me a prepaid shipping label, so there was no cost to me to return the cells.

I know that there have been complaints about EBay withholding payments for a period of time. In this case, that practice worked to my advantage. At about the time that EBay insisted on PayPal, they made other changes that placed much more of the balance with buyers. Prior to that time, the seller had the buyer at a real disadvantage, especially if the buyer had low feedback. Not any more.

For example, I resisted PayPal. But after using it for a time, in my view, it's worth it. No longer do I pay for, nor take time to obtain money orders. Payment is immediate, and if the seller ships USPS Priority, the entire transaction is complete in a few days.

With enough usage to hit my 100th feedback, all positive, I view EBay is a first-rate resource.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: EBay Comes Through for Buyer

How refreshing... a good story about ebay. I have never had to file a claim but have only once had a bad experience, which the seller resolved without resorting to claims. I'm happy with ebay and paypal.

Neil,

You've earned 100% feedback. Good job.

I'm also one of the lucky ones with ebay. I've had a bit of a problem in the past with paypal but nothing that wasn't sorted in the end. I'm currently waiting on some items to be delivered which seem to be taking longer than they should but aside from that, everything has always been quite prompt and I've picked up some absolute bargains.

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

E-Bay is great now, if you're just buying stuff. For sellers it can be a real pain. This is the oppoiste of how it was 5 or 6 years ago, when they always sided with sellers in the event of a dispute.
    Brian Vuillemenot

E-Bay is definetly trying to change the balance- sellers can't even leave negative feedback for buyers anymore. This is actually a good thing because 99% of the time the buyer is up against someone with 5000+ feedback who could care less about one bad feedback and the seller could always leave a negative feedback and totally mess up the buyers rating.

W K Longcor

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    E-Bay is definetly trying to change the balance- sellers can't even leave negative feedback for buyers anymore. This is actually a good thing because 99% of the time the buyer is up against someone with 5000+ feedback who could care less about one bad feedback and the seller could always leave a negative feedback and totally mess up the buyers rating.
    Yeah - but as someone who sells on EBAy as well as buys -- I have run into a few real bums who cause all sorts of problems when I'm selling ( 99.9% of the people I deal with are great) -- I just wish there was some easy way to let the other sellers know what stinkers these guys are.

Yeah, so far I've been lucky. But, I suppose I'm bound to run into one of these 'problem buyers' eventually.

Slightly related.....I have rescently been watching some lens's and film holders, all of which had no reserve price. All of which were removed well before the end of the auction, all having had bids made on them. When I contacted one of the sellers he replied " There weren't enough bids and the bid hadn't got high enough".

Why didn't they put a reserve on the item and why didn't the seller realise that the highest bids only come in in the last few seconds. At best very annoying.

Anyone else noticed this stupid practice?

Cheers Dave

W K Longcor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dawson View Post
    Slightly related.....I have rescently been watching some lens's and film holders, all of which had no reserve price. All of which were removed well before the end of the auction, all having had bids made on them. When I contacted one of the sellers he replied " There weren't enough bids and the bid hadn't got high enough".

Why didn't they put a reserve on the item and why didn't the seller realise that the highest bids only come in in the last few seconds. At best very annoying.

Anyone else noticed this stupid practice?

Cheers Dave
    Really dumb on the part of the seller. Several years back, I was selling a nice antique piece of art. At 5 minutes before the end, it was at around $100.00 --- I hit the F5 key to refresh , when I thought the auction would have ended. It was up to $800.00 but there was 2 second to go. Clicked again and in that 2 seconds, the piece sold for almost $6000.00 --- I'm really glad I was not as dumb as the guy you reported about.