Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toyo Holders

Re: Toyo Holders

In the previous thread, someone suggested that it is out-gassing. If you do a search for that word, and the word plastics, you will find that you are not the first person to experience this. There seem to be a lot of suggestions out there for how to deal with it; whether any of them works is another matter. If it is out-gassing, it isn't obvious how a solvent will help.

One suggestion that comes up is to heat the plastic (put it in the sun, use a hair dryer, etc.), presumably on the theory that this will promote the escape of the gas. Maybe
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Japan Exposures

Air them first and see. They're the best holders there is (some say), so it's worth it.

What about baking them at a lowish (60degC?) temperature to help speed up the out gassing. Might need to find an oven someone doesn't care about too much tho, like a rental property

I had some plastic parts I had painted and the paint just wouldn't go off, stayed tacky (standard enamel spray can) so I put them in the oven at around 60deg for about 8 hours and the paint went dry as a bone.

Quote Originally Posted by JRFrench View Post
    What about baking them at a lowish (60degC?) temperature to help speed up the out gassing...
    One aspect of Toyo holders that's better than the competition is how precisely they maintain film plane location, i.e. T-depth. I suspect placing these plastic items in an oven might put that precision in jeopardy.

Quote Originally Posted by JRFrench View Post
    What about baking them at a lowish (60degC?) temperature to help speed up the out gassing. Might need to find an oven someone doesn't care about too much tho, like a rental property
    That will work in theory, but the temperature control and distribution on a household oven is pretty terrible -- fine for baking a cake but not good enough for heating a thermoplastic to near its softening point. I tried this once and in some areas of the oven the plastic softened and deformed. If you have access to an industrial oven with good temp. control and a fan for even heat distribution this should work.

This involves another piece of industrial equipment, but I'd prefer using a vacuum oven or another setup to pull a decent vacuum at room to slightly elevated (40-50C) temperatures. But be aware that any offgassed material will likely be flammable.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

O.K. folks,

There are two approaches to problem solving; 1) figuring it out (or trying to) and proceeding accordingly, or 2) doing what's easy and seeing if that helps.

I was just loading some 8x10 Toyos, and it seemed to me the odor was more pronounced on the darkslide. So I'm going to get one and unload it, let them air out in different locations, and see if the body of the holder continues to smell or if it is the darkslide, or both. Easy enough.

How about someone else or two trying the same thing and we'll compare results.

Cheers, Steve

PS I'm with Sal about the oven. Better to sell them to me at a discount and buy some new Fidelitys or Liscos.

Reminds me of my teenage years. I had an Allman Bros record with a warp, and thought I could straighten it out by warming it in the oven a few minutes. Next thing I knew, it looked like a scallop clam shell! And smelled like last night's stew...

Drew Wiley

Outgassing would be the case only if the darkslides are vinyl rather than ABS. At one
    point the switch was made because vinyl is less brittle (at least as long as the plasticizer are still there!). Never had a problem with this because I keep my holders
    well insulated from heat, and probably also because I coat my slides with an antistatic
    solution. Static control and vinyl outgassing are unrelated, of course, but there probably some extra ingredient which tend to seal the plastic.

If it's outgassing you might try putting it in a vacuum, instead of an oven, to accelerate the process. You'd have to come up with some kind of air-tight chamber, but a venturi pump driven by an air compressor would produce a useful amount of vacuum. I have a couple of Toyo holders that don't seem to have the problem, so I can't evaluate if it would be worth the trouble to try to de-stenchify them.