Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyo Holders

Michael Alpert

Toyo Holders

For years I've had some 8x10 Toyo holders that I keep out of the way because of their pungent chemical smell. Other forum members have commented on the problem. Have any of you found a solution (literally, a solvent) that will wash away the odor?

Re: Toyo Holders

Sell them to me and you will never notice the smell again.
    Regards
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    ...Have any of you found a solution...?
    Yes, Lisco/Fidelity. Chamonix too.

Michael Alpert

It's nice to hear from people who don't have a clue, though they have a sense of humor. But does anyone actually have an answer to my question. I am surely not the only person who has encountered this problem.

Michael,

letting them air out outside in sunlight helps, but I don't know of anything that completely removes the odor. Also, not all of the Toyo brand holders have at least that strong a smell.

maybe, wrap it with a box of baking soda? I once bought some film stored in a smoking environment , put them in a plastic bag with baking soda for a few days. now the smell is almost gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    It's nice to hear from people who don't have a clue, though they have a sense of humor. But does anyone actually have an answer to my question. I am surely not the only person who has encountered this problem.
    No, you're not. And my reply, while the smiley indicates humor, is from someone who does have a clue. Please see this thread

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=reeking

to understand why, in my opinion, the only solution is using other film holder brands (or older Toyos).

Airing them out is the only real solution. The aromatic compounds used have something like a vaporization half-life. At this point, mine only smell if you put your nose right up to them. Even so, I like Toyo holders best.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    Airing them out is the only real solution. The aromatic compounds used have something like a vaporization half-life...
    Three years into my experiment, the two 4x5 holders haven't exhibited much stench reduction. A generous estimate might be five years for half-life.

Michael Alpert

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    No, you're not. And my reply, while the smiley indicates humor, is from someone who does have a clue. Please see this thread

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=reeking

to understand why, in my opinion, the only solution is using other film holder brands (or older Toyos).
    Sal,

Thank you for the link. Okay, you have more than a clue. But no one on the previous thread or on this thread has suggested a solvent that might take care of the problem. If fact, no one seems to know what the odor is. Photography is challenging enough without absurdities like this one. It is obvious that just hoping that the odor will go away does not help. Once it is warm enough to work outdoors, I may try washing the holders with various solvents to see if I can make some headway without destroying too many brain cells. If something works, I'll post the results.