Thread: Light Recommendation: 30x40 Vacuum Easel, Alternative Processes

Light Recommendation: 30x40 Vacuum Easel, Alternative Processes

Hi all,

I was fortunate to come across a NuArc 30x40 vacuum easel in perfect working order. Now comes the "fun" part of building some sort of light source for alternative process printing. I have read numerous posts about lighting here and elsewhere, including Sandy King's article at unblinkingeye, but I am looking for some feedback on 2 options I am considering:

1. Right now, the unit is sitting next to a large, south-facing window (about 41" wide x 46" high) and my budget plan is to build a large box out of foam board, with polished aluminium on the inside, to rest on the unit, make contact with the window and capture sunlight. I'm concerned, though, about adequate/even illumination as well as repeatable results, and I'm wondering if you think this route might work or not?

2. Otherwise, I'm thinking that 1 or 2 1000w HID lamps are probably preferable and more economical than a bank of flourescent tubes, though I have not spec'd this out yet.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Peter
    Peter Y.

Re: Light Recommendation: 30x40 Vacuum Easel, Alternative Processes

One 1000W unit is more than enough. Two would be overkill. You would be retreating from the room with two lights going (if you are printing in quick succession, you don't turn those puppies off.) Plus for many alt processes longer exposure times can yield smoother tonalities -- mostly with those that produce, to some degree, a printing out image (cyanotype, platinum, salt, etc -- even carbon to a small degree.)

I print at night and live in a coastal county in Northern California that often does not see sun for days and days. You want repeatablity if you really get into it.

Vaughn

Eric Woodbury

Sunlight should work, but I don't know about the reflectors. I worry they will make the illumination uneven. To get repeatable exposures with the sun, you need an integrating timer. I thought that NuArc had these built in, so perhaps you can adapt. Otherwise, get a MetroLux or equivalent.

Lights I don't know anything about. Blacklight tubes, HID, or maybe a sign maker can help, or where did all those plate burners go? Those were arc lamps.

Good luck.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Forget the sun idea. Vaughn is correct. I use a 1000W HID and love it. I also have a fluorescent UV bank when I want longer printing times

Thanks for the replies. I will probably give the sunlight option a whirl just to see if it works. Then I'll look into HID lighting.

Do any of you have experience with using multiple lamps (say 2 400w HID)? Any problems with even illumination?

Thanks!
    Peter Y.

How about flash with non-uv coated tubes?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know